Sunday, July 18, 2010

Graduation



Thanks to mostly Kim's hard work (I have been taking it easy with a bit of a sore back) the chicken yard is now safe and secure, and the chickies have graduated to the big time: the chicken-sized door to their personal playground has been opened and the world awaits them!

All that is left to do is string some lines decorated with holographic tape over the yard to keep the eagles from swooping in and carrying one off.


Kim is having such fun with these birds. When she pulls up a chair for a session of Chicken TV, one of the roosters (we think) flaps up to her lap to be petted . We had no idea chickens had such personality!

We're having a lot of trouble telling them all apart - even the roosters from the hens, as you can tell from the ever-changing hen/rooster count. If we can't tell them apart, how can we give the hens names? How can we decide which rooster to keep? Natalie at the Chicken Blog doesn't have that problem - her chickens are exotic super models compared to our all-the-same-plain-Janes.

7 comments:

Strange Angel said...

Oh, man, you aren't kidding about chicken personality!
Some are VERY people friendly and rather loving, in their own chickeny way. My favorites are the ones that "sing" for you when they see you coming.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

People ask us how we can tell our Golden Retrievers apart and I tell them that we can because "each one is unique and individual" so I am sure at some point your chickens will be too, and you'll know exactly who's who! :-)

Natalie said...

I could hear "Pomp and Circumstances" as your dear Janes, and Joes, came marching down the aisle from their new home and in to the light of day. And they are dear.
It's true our variety pack is easier to tell apart, but I agree with Kim that your lovely chickies will be distinguishing themselves a little more every day.

Flartus said...

I'm glad you noticed I visited your blog, because I feel we have LOTS in common! (I have total and complete chicken envy, btw.) But, I'm wondering...how the heck did you know I'd been by???

Re: chicken individuality...perhaps you might consider following Linda's method over at 7MSN Ranch. She painted her hens' toenails with different colors until she could tell them apart!

Of course, distinguishing ten different types of pink and or red might not be any easier. :)

Paula said...

Wow! It's hard to believe that they're chickens already! I sure hope I win the coop raffle so I can start chickens this year.

But if I don't, I guess that's okay, too. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew!

Miriam said...

Nothing sinister, Flartus! I noticed on my dashboard that you had signed up as a follower (thank you!) and I found my way to your blog via your profile. You're right, we have some things in common!

Flartus said...

Lol, I wasn't worried about stalking; I wanted to know if there was someway to see the silent ghosts who pass through my blog.

BTW, I found you through Chicken Blog, in case you were wondering.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...