Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chickens on the run



Notice anything unusual about this picture? Extra points to you if you spotted that the chickens are outside the chicken yard.

Yes, Kim gave them their freedom yesterday. Maybe it was the sunshine, or the happiness that came from a morning of sifting compost, but for whatever reason Kim opened the gates to the chicken yard and let the birds roam free.

And oh, were they ever happy! The orchard is a great place for them to graze, but it's familiar territory. When the gates opened they ventured forth onto untouched ground, digging and scratching for all the bugs just waiting for them.


We kept Pee Wee in the chicken yard, but Hector was allowed to roam free with the girls. He took his guard-rooster duties seriously, even butting chests with Frankie when he got too close to the hens.


After an hour or so Kim decided it was time to round them all up and get them back in the orchard. All it took was a bit of scratch and a few calls of "chickie, chickie" and they all came trotting back. Even the scatterbrained crazy hen who is always the last one in.

video

7 comments:

Rae said...

Fluffy chicken butts are just too stinkin cute.

Paula said...

Agreed. Especially Buff Oprington butts.

Kim speaks Chicken really well!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

How cute the "here... chick, chick, chick..." and the girls running for the goodies! A pleasure to look at.

I would love to see a full picture of your chicken pen. I loved the way you built it, with that "framed" fencing. And the gate looks so neat also.

xoxo

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam!! I loved the video and the post--It's really brought a smile to my face! :-D

PS: I drove past my 'old' house this afternoon and saw my winter aconite blooming. But I've ordered some of my own to set out here--I found the 'American counterpart' to Brecks bulbs--THANK YOU again for sending me the link--I'm so excited to have found them!!

Flartus said...

Grain to chickens is like boobs to men...just turns off every other thought in their heads. :D

Toni aka irishlas said...

First to Flartus' comment - hahahaha, that cracked me up.

Second, can I please be your neighbor? My chickens won't come no matter what I do. It's always a wild goose chase, er, chicken chase! I need a chicken whisperer...

farmhousewife said...

Chicken-TV is the best, thanks for sharing. My favorite,of course, is the scatterbrained hen at the end, she reminds me of me!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...