Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jack



I've had some interesting experiences since we moved to Mucky Boots, and I've done some things I never would have thought I'd do. Like picking rocks at a quarry, or making medicinal salve, or installing a toilet, or putting new roofs on outbuildings. Or looking more closely than I ever would have imagined at a chicken's butt. But yesterday - yesterday takes the cake.

Yesterday I jacked up a building.

Okay, a tool shed. But still, aren't you impressed?

We all knew this was coming: as soon as we had transferred the contents of our tool shed into the new improved wood shed, Kim's eyes fell on the emptied building and its transformation into Chicken Coop #2 began. But we also all know that nothing is too good for Kim's chickens, and so the sloping floor of the shed simply would not do. Part of the foundation had rotted and sunk, and Kim was insistent that we jack up the building and put in some cement blocks to make it secure and level. Nothing easier, she claimed.

I needed convincing. The words "jack up a building" conjured a vision of a collapsed shed with Kim underneath like the Wicked Witch of the West, and me frantically reading an instruction manual to figure out how to operate a jack so I could rescue her.

Turns out it really was easy. We used the jacks from the car and the truck, went really slowly, and were very careful to not leave any appendages lingering underneath parts that might fall down. The whole operation was much easier, and went much faster than either of us had anticipated. How many home improvement projects can you say that about?


It all made for an afternoon of entertainment for the chickens. It seems like Chicken TV works both ways...


Tonight I am thankful to be safe under a good roof and calm skies. I hope that wherever you are, you are, too.

7 comments:

jeanives said...

Did it snow up there last night? we could see snow on the hills in your direction, sort of Prospect Lake-ish actually, but obviously cold enough overnight to lay a few flakes down. Good grief! Great concerto concert tonight with Donna at the helm.

Miriam said...

No snow - thank goodness! - but strange torrential rain and some hail yesterday afternoon. I've had enough, and want some sunshine!

Doc said...

This coming Sunday Portland should see temps in the upper 70's perhaps that will be headed your way after we soak it up.

Flartus said...

I'm seriously beginning to think about starting to save up in order to fly Kim down here for a month's work. I'm thinking March would be a good time to tempt you all with our early spring weather & flowers.

The chickens thought that surely, with all the work and focus on lifting the building, there would be a huge rush of FOOD flowing out. Why else would you do it? Bet they were disappointed. ;)

Paula said...

Very cool, and brava to both of you! Puts what I did yesterday to shame, a bit.

I have been thinking about looking for a new car jack of that very design so that I can put together some sort of press with it. I have a cider press (my $40 steal from a garage sale, complete with crushing hopper) but I don't want to use it for anything else, like making cheese (someday) or pressing olive oil, which is why I planted the two olive trees. Car jacks are so useful for so many things, like pressing stuff and lifting cars, and lifting buildings.

Looking forward to your reports on the new coop!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam!! I've missed a couple of your posts again--I've got to pay more attention! :-) But I will just say that I've enjoyed catching up, and continue to admire you and Kim for your energy and ingenuity in all of your projects!!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

I had to laugh a little with your description of a possible disaster - which would NOT have been funny at all! But you both did a great job again!

Those chickens seem to be waiting for some worms to pop out of the dirt Kim is raking...LOL
xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...