Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lost


I am generally a good person, and I try to live my life in a thoughtful and responsible way. But I have a few shortcomings, as the people who love me can attest to. My tendency to over plan at the expense of spontaneity, as one example. Or my seeming inability to stop taking responsibility for the happiness of everyone around me, as another.

But - oh! - the failing that has me tearing out my hair this week is this: I cannot, for the life of me, hang on to a set of pruners.

I'm rough on tools. This is a well-established fact. I leave tools out in the rain, I rarely clean them, and I never, ever sharpen or oil them. That's why I buy the $5 pruners instead of the $50 ones. I understand and accept this. What I can't figure out is how I keep losing them.

This week I set a new record. On Saturday afternoon I mislaid a set of pruners while tackling the creeping bellflower in one of the perennial beds. I had them. I put them down. I left for a few minutes to empty the wheelbarrow and when I got back those pruners were nowhere. I looked and looked, and never found them.

That wasn't so bad. Kim was nice enough to bring me another pair, even though the ones I had mislaid were clearly marked "Kim". What was bad - really, really bad - was that the next morning, in the space of one hour I mislaid two more pairs.

I don't know where they went. I have retraced my steps, and looked under every conceivable bush. I have rooted through the compost pile, thinking maybe I absent-mindedly put them in the wheelbarrow and then emptied them into the compost. I have hunted and hunted and haven't been able to find any of the three (most recently) missing pairs.

What did I do?

I went out and bought two more pairs. And - so far - I know exactly where they are.

9 comments:

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

I know you don't think this is funny, but I confess you made me laugh - a little. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Sometimes, as I place something somewhere, I even think "This is a good spot, I will NOT forget where I put it". Later, I need Gordon's help to search for the darn thing.

Pockets, Miriam! Depending on the size of the tool, pockets are the best!! I wear overalls, those with the pockets on the sides, on the bib, and on the legs. And that is where I stuff almost everything I need. It does not look good, but works fine!

Your flowers - on the previous posts - are gorgeous!
xxxxxx

Toni aka irishlas said...

Fairies! Leave them a present and they'll return your pruners :-)

jeanives said...

How about a tool belt? because i absolutely hate wasting time looking for things...

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Miriam, I can see myself in this post. But I was told once that you only misplace those things that don't have any real value in your life. So I decided that since I've never misplaced someone I love, then I'm okay--If you've never done that, then you're 'okay' too!!:-))) So maybe if you 'fell in love' with the pruners you wouldn't lose them! ...worth a try!

Paula said...

your first mistake is buying pruners with black handles. your second mistake is buying cheap pruners. you will take better care of forty-five dollar pruners and not lose them if they have bright red handles.

the next thing to do is get yourself so good work pants with side pockets in them, where you can stuff your pruners (and your folding pruning saw) when they're not actually in your hand. I like the overalls they make (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/womens/womens-pants/34016.aspx#) because the loops hold my hammer, and there are two side pockets on the left for the aforementioned felcos and pruning saw; the patch pocket on the right leg is the perfect size and shape for seed packets- I also stuff my wallet in there when I go to the hardware store because I like to travel light there; the big zippered pocket in the bib is big enough to stuff my garden notebook in so I can make notes while I'm out there. I would not recommend their firehose bibs because I'm finding out that they tear much too easily. But other than that, I love my Duluth Trading bibs. I have a flannel-lined pair for winter and they just rock.

So fifty bucks for pruners and fifty bucks for pants, and a hunnerd bucks later, you won't lose your pruners. And you'll love your pants.

Paula said...

I should mention that the Felco pruners that I have were given to me by my intended for my birthday before we got married. This October they'll be ten years old.

Miriam said...

I don't know...a hundred bucks buys a lot of $5 pruners! Although at the rate I'm going through them I might need to reconsider this. I should mention that Kim's pruners (and the pair I lost before that, come to think of it) had red handles...

Tool belts and pockets sound like a really good idea, but when I try them I get really annoyed by the bulk when I'm standing up, kneeling down, bending over, reaching, digging. Kim keeps trying to convince me to wear the tool belt she bought me, but I just don't like it.

What I might be able to do is carry around a little bucket to keep my hand tools in, and train myself to always put down the pruners IN the bucket. Might be worth a try.

Doc said...

.......so how is Hector? Bet he never loses any pruners ;o)

Miriam said...

Hector is doing just fine, Doc - and he sends his regards! No, he never loses his pruners - he just tucks them into his luxurious, thick feathers and they stay put. No tool belt or pockets needed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...