Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hum



Something wonderful is happening in the sound scape at Mucky Boots: humming, lots and lots of humming. Bees, in every flowering plant from the chestnut tree to the stands of comfrey to the raspberry bushes to the rhododendrons. That's great news, especially in the vegetable garden, berry patch and orchard, because bees mean fertilized flowers which means a chance for apples and strawberries and peas and tomatoes this year. And with the collapse of bee colonies all over North America, it's not news we take for granted.

I tried to take a picture, but bees are busy little creatures, and wouldn't stay put long enough for me to point, focus and click. So instead, here are some of the blooms that had bees in them today - until I showed up with the camera, that is.






4 comments:

jeanives said...

I read recently, somewhere, that the problem with last year's zucchini failure was pollination or rather the lack thereof. If you get that same blossom end rot phenomenon the suggestion is to hand pollinate.

Paula said...

It must be really lovely where you live.

Miriam said...

Yes, we're hoping for squash this year! And yes, it's lovely here - at least this time of year! Sometimes I get my head so twisted up with weeds and creeping bellflower and white nancy that's creeping all over our ferns that I forget to step back and drink in all the beauty. But I'm working on it!

Flartus said...

I was just noticing the big fat carpenter bees in our beautiful rose of sharon blooms this morning. They were very excited...but I hope they don't ignore our cucumber and tomato blossoms! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...