Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tarnish



It may seem a strange thing for a gardener to say, but I've always had a thing for decay. Don't get me wrong - lush green growth busting out with life is wonderful, too - but there's something about the colours and textures of something worn by life into a more subtle kind of beauty that has always had a great appeal for me.

Take this old washing machine under the trees near the house, for example. In the summer it looks like this.


As a backdrop to the colourful spill of nasturtiums it has its charms. But in the grey light of another rainy day, in its end-of-winter emptiness, it really comes into its own, with all the understated beauty of tarnish and lichen and rust.



Maybe I'm just feeling a little tarnished myself, and hoping to find the beauty in that.

9 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I find beauty in you!
And in old and tarnished things.
Rust. Galvanized steel. Some moss, lichen, grooves, the careworn signs of time, and love. Look at the colors, textures, and unwritten stories those pictures show, the objects hold. What's not to love?

jeanives said...

There is nothing more beautiful than lichen and bright green moss, and I especially love them growing on old stained statues. There is an orange lichen that is just the colour of rust. I was in a gallery this morning that had a most amazing sculpture of a longhorn steer made from old pieces of cars!

Charade said...

Nothing wrong with a little tarnish - that is, if the knees don't rust out!

Kara said...

Totally! And I also agree with jeanives that moss = awesome.

Paula said...

Ah...you appreciate the wabi sabi aesthetic...

Christian said...

Love it. I dig funky old containers like that. Talk about repurposing!

Shim Farm said...

I love the tarnish too, but on me, well, let's just say I'm fighting the "weathered look" every step of the way.

Your photos remind me of one of my favorite childhood books by Frances Hodgson Burnett, "The Secret Garden".

I drive by an old rusting 1940's pick-up truck parked at a garage on my way to work, and dream of having it in our garden, with flowers spilling out of the truck's bed. It's positively lovely.

Nicole Hitchcock said...

I kinda think it makes a house look like a home when there's some good old fashion wear and tear!

Holly House said...

I love how things age in my yard, nithing weird about it at all! Though nothing in my uard is as neat as that washtub!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...