Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Morning harvest


This is what came out of the garden this morning: two heads of Bambi lettuce, the first bunch of new carrots, the first bulb of fennel, the first batch of snap peas, a baby bok choy, two small heads of broccoli, some spinach, and some Chinese stir-fry greens. And a handful of calendula and chamomile blossoms. I feel rich!



And if you're sharp eyed you might have spotted the kale hiding behind the bok choy. I am actually eating kale, and sort of enjoying it, chopped beyond all recognition and disguised among the other greens in my almost daily stir fry. I haven't been quite brave enough to try one of the recipes all of you have suggested - the recipes where kale stands proudly as kale - but I'm working up to it.

Really. I promise.  

3 comments:

jeanives said...

You brave girl you! And yes, rich beyond counting...

Paula said...

Miriam- when did you start all this stuff and where? (like greenhouse, right in the ground?)

And I picked off that kale right away!

Miriam said...

Well, according to my handy dandy planting calendar, I started the fennel in the greenhouse around the third week of February and the broccoli in the greenhouse at the start of March. The spinach was direct seeded in late April, at the same time as the kale, the stir-fry greens, the Bambi lettuce and the baby bok choy. The carrots and peas were direct seeded early April. And the calendula and chamomile plants were started in the greenhouse around the end of March. I think that's everything!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...