Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mucky Boots poppies, delivered



If you've been hanging out at Mucky Boots for any length of time, you'll know that poppies are one of the superstars of our gardens. In the spring the orange creamsicle and yellow San Pelegrino poppies bring early colour...





and in the heat of the summer the oriental poppies bloom and bloom.




And all summer long the self-seeding corn poppies keep the blueberries company in the vegetable garden.


Poppies as big as a side plate and as small as a loonie. Poppies in ballet tutu pink and bordello velvet red. Poppies reaching five feet tall and poppies no higher than my knee. Poppies in May and October and every month in between. Mucky Boots would be a much drabber place without its poppies, for which I can take no credit. They were here when we arrived and I haven't done much to make their lives any better except admire them unreservedly - I rarely water them, never feed them, and when they finish blooming I hack them to the ground. And they repay me by growing fresh new greens and sometimes a whole new set of flowers.

For the first time this year I have been collecting the seed pods, thinking I would broadcast them in the field behind the greenhouse and in empty spots in the perennial gardens. (I would love to see poppies deliver a knock-out punch to the creeping bellflower - cheerful exuberance beating out sneaky infiltration.) 

I have been so conscientious about collecting that I now have many more seeds than I can possibly use. So here's your chance to get some of that colour for your own garden: drop me an email at mstanford at shaw dot ca and I'll send you a little packet with a mixture of poppy seeds. 

Johnny Appleseed's got nothing on me.

7 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

OH!
Even before you offered, I was wish-wanting to beg some seeds from you. The pods are as marvelous as the blooms... which are truly MARVELOUS!

Can I offer an exchange, or a little *seed money?* I don't want to assume international post is easily feasible.

Miriam said...

That's one of the advantages of sending poppy seeds rather than bean seeds: they weigh nothing! So this is on me, as a way of thanking you for being a friend of Mucky Boots.

If anyone felt really strongly about wanting to give something in return, might I suggest bringing a spare zucchini or some flowers or a bit of spare change to your local food bank?

Kris said...

I would love some seeds, but will they be ok in North Ga? It gets pretty hot here in July and August. I know nothing about poppies. But what a great offer! I do take my recyclabe stuff to our local food kitchen and they get money for it. My daughter is also in charge of her company volunteering once a month coking there.

Miriam said...

I think you should give it a try, Kris! Ours seem to thrive in hot weather. Just send me an email with your address and the seeds will be on their way!

Kris said...

Thank you so much, Miriam. And that is my favorite name, by the way. It was my grandmother's name. I shall send you an email right now.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

You sly fox. I just sent you an email. I want me some poppy Mucky Boots Love all over my new backyard.

*Grin*

Kris said...

Miriam, I got my seeds today! Thank you so much. I can't wait to see them in the spring now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...