I may now be officially the most annoying person on the planet, or at least in my neighbourhood, because ever since my sinus surgery all I do is go around sniffing things and saying "Wow, did you smell this?" or "Wow, that smells good!" of "Wow, that stinks!" Fortunately the people around me are happy enough for me they're cutting me some slack and haven't told me to put a clothes pin on my nose. Yet.
Here are today's favourite smells, in no particular order:
- hot chocolate
- a wet forest in the rain
- thyme plants being crushed underfoot
- rosemary leaves just stripped from the stem
- chocolate cookies baking in the oven (which goes really well with the first item on the list)
- the smoke from a fire in the wood stove, especially outside, and especially when it mingles with the second item on the list
- Frankie's fur when he comes in from outside smelling of wood smoke and wet forests
- the fennel seeds I saved this year
- the dill seeds I saved this year
- a mandarin orange, just peeled
- clean laundry
- freshly steeped green tea, the kind that has the little popped kernels of corn in it
I could go on, believe me. Is this annoying yet?
Here's a picture of Frankie having his own sniff of the seeds I dried. (My apologies for the fact the edge of the tray doesn't quite line up with the edges of the tile. How annoying...)