Sunday, January 27, 2013

My friend Linda


I first met Linda almost 11 years ago, and we have been friends for all of that time except maybe the first two days when we were still getting to know each other. She is a warm, loving, sparkling, funny woman and I treasure every visit I get to have with her.

One of the most special things about Linda is that she brings beauty with her wherever she goes. Her home is full of art and pottery and sunshine. And flowers, especially flowers. I think every blossom in the flower shop must perk up when Linda walks through the door, wanting to look their best so she'll take them home.

I have three bunches of flowers adorning my house these days, all courtesy of Linda and her partner. There are the orchids they sent when I had sinus surgery in November...


...the paper whites, now blooming, that were a Christmas present...


...and the tulips they brought when they came for a visit yesterday.



Linda, and all the flowers she brings into my life, are a wonderful antidote to the get-the-job-done frame of mind I usually find myself in, the utilitarian, task-driven, practical mindset that governs much of my life. I am surrounded by natural beauty where I live, but somehow I don't often enough look beyond the clean-up that needs doing, and the shrubs that need pruning, and the beds that need rebuilding to enjoy the beauty that is there, just for its own sake. My perennial beds are full of bright blossoms, but somehow I look at them like a technician. Linda and her gifts of flowers remind me to also look with an artist's eyes, and a poet's.

Thank you Linda, for reminding me to stop and smell the...tulips.

2 comments:

jeanives said...

She is exactly as you describe her. Wonderful!

Gina Gao said...

These are absolutely wonderful. Nice pictures!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...