Monday, June 17, 2013

It's about those poppies



You know how much I love the poppies growing here at Mucky Boots. I love them so much I have written at least a dozen posts about them. I have taken photos, and collected seeds to send to all my friends. I have given them names: the Creamsicle, the San Pellegrino, the Ballet Tutu, and the Bordello. I have even declared that when it comes to volunteers, poppies get a free ride, no matter where they pop up.

I think the poppies must have read that post and taken it as permission to embark on a campaign for world domination, because this year the poppies are everywhere.

Here are some examples. First we have poppies with cilantro, in the photo above, and then poppies with concord grape...



... poppies with artichoke...



...poppies with blueberry...



...and finally poppies with raspberry.

 

If all those photos just look like a mass of green foliage, that's exactly my point. Everything else is being buried. Compounding the problem is the fact that I didn't get around to staking and tying up the big heavy poppies this spring, so they are sprawling over everything in their vicinity.

I have come to the conclusion that it may be possible, in fact, to have too much of a good thing.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Is it possible that poppies might morph into...dare I say it...WEEDS??

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I planted all your poppies you sent me! Yay! They can have a free ride around here anytime!

Michelle Huddleston said...

I am so very jealous. I keep planting poppies and they won't grow. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Shim Farm said...

Nah, you can't have too many poppies!

Do you have any of those famous blue ones?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...