Friday, December 4, 2009

Puffy vests




My wardrobe has changed since we moved to the farm. Instead of choosing between fancy work clothes and regular clothes, now I choose between dirty work clothes and regular clothes. One of the staples of both work and regular wardrobes is the "puffy vest", so named by my friend Linda who is the queen of puffy vests.

My first acquisition was the light blue one you see here. I got it last fall when Kim and I were coming up on weekends to try to stay on top of the work in the garden. It is used exclusively in the garden because it is filthy - beautifully, gloriously filthy. It gets hosed down every once in a while, but even at its cleanest it's a dirty mess. But dirty or not, I quickly became sold on the fact it kept me warm without overheating, it left my arms free to work, and most of all that it kept my neck free of drafts. So I had to get another one, one that would stay (mostly) clean.

That led to my second vest, the navy blue one. It's different from the first one not only because it's clean, it's also smaller. It feels like a snuggly hug when I wear it, which is its greatest charm. but that means when it's really cold I can't layer a fleece underneath, which led to Puffy Vest #3, a larger version of #2.

At that point I admitted to a thing for puffy vests, and shamelessly bought #4, the fancy purple checked one, for formal occasions. Victorian gentlemen wore fancy embroidered vests when they wanted to make a statement, but when I'm going out and want to look spiffy, I choose Puffy Vest #4.

I am happy to have my puffy vests these days, because it has been really cold - below freezing! This morning we woke up to crispy, frosty everything. The water in the birdbath is frozen, and we're starting to wonder whether the pond might be good for skating...








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog after reading a comment of yours on the Cold Antler Farm blog. The mention of "rural property" on "Vancouver Island" is what drew me in because I'm from Victoria, so of course I had to come sneak a look... I'm a starving student at UVic right now, with not much certainty about my future, and that's about all there is to know about me. What I've read of your blog makes me smile -- I'm glad to have found an eloquent, nature-loving blogger from my area because I too wondered if those crazy November rains were normal or unusual, and I remember the recent first morning frost. Right now I bet you're feeling that crisp dry Arctic air too...
Anyway, this all seems more like something you're writing to keep in touch with family and friends so I hope I'm not intruding and I hope that I may continue to read. Good tidings to you and yours.
~Ivan

Mucky Boots Mir said...

Ivan, you're very welcome! Anyone who reads the Cold Antler Farm blog is okay by me!
~Miriam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...