Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's a party...



...a disco dance party! The fishing line and holographic tape are up, criss-crossing the chicken yard, fluttering in the lightest of breezes and looking like a party.

If they actually work to keep the chickies safe from eagles, it will be a nice solution to protecting a yard studded with trees and with fences only 6 feet high. The previous owner tried to piece together lengths of bird netting from fence to fence, around the trees, but it sagged in the middle, which meant we had to crouch to move around in the yard, and when the leaves fell on top of the netting in the autumn it was a big mess to clean up. And then the whole thing just collapsed in the snow.

We started with lines strung Maypole style from the biggest central tree out to the perimeter. Then we criss-crossed lines, making sure there are no gaps as big as an eagle's wingspan, tying on the holographic tape as we went. It's tall enough for us to move freely underneath, and leaves and snow will be able to fall through to the ground. We have our fingers crossed and our eyes peeled.

The chickies are taking it all in stride. When they're not pecking and scratching and eating and pooping, they're waiting for Kim at the Chicken TV viewing chair.

8 comments:

Flartus said...

"Chicken tv" is one the expressions that made me want to follow your blog. I know exactly what you mean!

amothersheartinwords said...

my husband and our son watched "chicken tv" this evening as the sun went down - we giggled shamelessly as they found their roosting posts and then played musical roost. ah, to be a chicken.

Your precautionary measures are genius! I hope it works!

p.s. I referenced (linked) you and your post on Cultivating Perfection today, I hope you don't mind. If you do, please let me know and I will remove it.

I ran across a quote and it made me think of you (and me!)

Sheila

aka: farmhousewife.blogspot.com

Miriam said...

Flartus, I can't take credit for "Chicken TV" - I'm not sure where I first heard that expression, but whoever invented it knew what they ere talking about!

And Sheila, I thought the quote you posted on your site was just perfect, and fine words to live by. I think I'll print it out and post it by the back door so I can re-orient my thinking every time I head out to the garden.

Nancy K. said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and I'm sure that I'll be back. What a delightful blog!

I love your chickens ~ and their coop.

I'm amazed that eagles would be that brazen around humans.

Your flowers/gardens are gorgeous, as are your photographs.

I am also a perfectionist (When I'm not being a slob!).

I have both a chicken blog and a sheep blog. I hope you'll stop by and say "Hi". I would like to link your blog to mine, if that's OK with you...

Paula said...

Chicken TV must be like the Squirrel Channel, which is what Rufus used to watch. Tirelessly.

The picture of the birds waiting for Kim is really cute.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Chicken TV, squirrel TV, it's all good and while the actors are the same, there are no reruns! I hope this works to keep your chickies safe!

How's your ointment working?

Miriam said...

The healing ointment! Well, I've been using it on mosquito bites, which are definitely healing faster (I tend to itch and itch and itch with those) and on my gardener's knuckles, which seem to be transforming slowly from reptile scales back to normal skin. So I think there's something to the power of calendula and comfrey! It is a bit greasy feeling, maybe because the sweet almond oil takes some time to absorb into the skin. I have another batch on the go, and I think I'll reduce the beeswax and increase the glycerin in hopes of ending up with something that's a bit creamier and less solid. I'm also making it with olive oil this time, which is a lot cheaper!

Toni aka irishlas said...

Ah, now I understand why you need to put out the "party lights" to protect the hens!

Tell Kim to look before she sits!

Aren't chickens just a hoot to watch??

Have a great week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...