Friday, July 6, 2012

Kale without a hangover



(Please know that I am not a food photographer. If I was, I would have special light deflectors for eliminating those funny glints off the egg, and I would have a hand thrown pottery plate with the perfect colour for setting off the cooked greens without making them look anaemic. You're just going to have to trust me when I say this meal was delicious, even though the photo may make it look just a touch unappealing...)


You may know that this is my summer for overcoming my aversion to kale. I planted two different varieties this year (Red Russian and Lacinto), determined to find a way to make culinary friends with it - it's just too nutritious and too hardy in the garden to keep avoiding it any longer.

I've been eating it for a few weeks now, always chopped into oblivion and mixed in stir fries with other greens I like better, like chard and baby bok choy.

But yesterday...yesterday I made it the star of the show for the first time, using a recipe from Julie called "Joe Beef's Kale for a Hangover". (Joe Beef is a chef and restaurateur in Montreal, and the recipe comes from his book The Art of Living According to Joe Beef.)

I didn't have a hangover, but I was tired after a long and busy day, so this was my supper. And maybe it was that I was so tickled there's a chef named Beef, or maybe it was that this meal was amazingly quick. Or it could have been the beautifully oozing fried egg. Maybe it was the bacon. (Yes, I think it was the bacon.) In any case, I shovelled back this kale-centric meal like nobody's business, and not only survived, but am looking forward to making it again.

When I have enough kale, that is. In fact (she says with shy pride) I am eating the kale in my garden faster than I can grow it. I'm going to have to plant more...

5 comments:

kara said...

Yay! Hooray for kale!! Bacon with anything is delish, but bacon and kale is especially delish.

jeanives said...

In the Book OF Kale, which I found at Costco the other day, the advice is 12 plants per person to carry you through the winter. Now is a good time to plant. I'm so proud of you!

Alison said...

The most successful garden is the one you actually eat from, eh? You're outgardening me by miles (that's kilometers to you). ;)

Paula said...

Jeanives that's timely advice- thank you.

YAY Miriam! the only other suggestion I can make after the bacon is a pinch of red pepper flakes and some garlic. And if you eat the whole thing with pasta and freshly grated romano cheese, you have my favorite pasta dish.

Have you tried rice noodles?

Shim Farm said...

I eat kale once a year as a tribute to the roast goose my Mom cooks at Christmas, but I swore I'd give it a bigger, better chance this year. You are being intrepid, and it's inspiring me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...