Thursday, July 18, 2013

Oxalis


Last year I was looking for something to plant in the old washing machine tub parked by the pond. I had been filling it with annuals but decided to switch to a perennial because hey, who doesn't like less work? So I went hunting for something with the right scale for the tub, that could handle the part sun, part dappled shade, dry unless I remember to water it conditions. Usually, when I go to the garden store with a list of requirements in hand, I end up getting sucked in by the first pretty thing I see. In this case, it was a picture, because I bought bulbs.


Oxalis deppei is what I came home with. Then I did a Google search and found out how many people battle invasive oxalis in their lawns and garden beds and I thanked my lucky stars that I was planting in a container, not a bed, at a good distance from any of the perennial beds. And I reasoned that since it is hardy only to Zone 7 (which we are only in a good year) any problems would be solved with a good dose of winter.


It did well last year, filling the tub with its two-colour shamrock leaves and pink flowers, and so I was curious this spring whether it would return. It did, not quite as luxuriantly, but it slowly filled out and now it is blooming. Beautifully.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Now I know the name of this particular plant. It is growing in one of the flower beds in the yard here. Love how you captured the small dainty flowers.

jeanives said...

Personally I like oxalis despite it's reputation for invading. Nice choice.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Pretty.
Hope it stays put!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I love going to the nursery with the best of intentions...

I went today "just to look around". That didn't end well. For my bank account, at least.

I love the little pretty flowers. And it's only invasive if you don't want it there, right? If you love it, then you're just lucky.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...