Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pause


September is my favourite month. For me September is all about warm fleece on cool mornings, sunny afternoons that are a gift instead of a given, and the collective deep breath that comes as things slow down in the perennial garden. The demands of spring and summer have been met (or not) and the massive job of the fall clean up is still a month or two away. This is a time for sitting on the porch swing, enjoying some quiet and appreciating the beauty of the garden that is.

Much of the garden is showing its age, crispy and dry after the heat of the summer, or showing the effects of damage by pests. But there's still some colour to be found. The asters are just beginning to flower...



... and at the other end of their life cycle, the very last of the hosta flowers are hanging on for a few more days.



The wild and crazy dianthus is making a second showing...



... while the butterly weed I planted from seed this year is making its first bright orange showing.



The red valerian wins the longevity prize - it has been flowering non-stop since May, and shows no sign of calling it quits.




The fuschia, which for much of the year is so straggly I am always tempted to take it out, is looking like something from a Japanese block print. A graceful, gentle rebuke. 


I'll be taking a pause for the next month or so. Until I get back I wish you warm days, cool nights, and someone you love to share them with.

4 comments:

Lindsey Nickell said...

Pausing is good. Pausing is right. Enjoy your time to downshift - we will catch you later.

Also, I'm adding that valerian to my plant list for next spring - gorgeous.

Stephanie said...

Pretty flowers!

Shim Farm said...

Where ever you may be going, what ever you may be doing, I hope it's enjoyable!

Paula said...

...purty......enjoy your downtime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...