Sunday, September 18, 2011

Quinoa


One of my goals for the vegetable garden this year was to see how much protein I could grow - protein in the form of three kinds of shelling beans, and quinoa.

Here's the quinoa, hung under cover on the verandah to finish drying. It rained this weekend, and I was worried about the seed heads getting wet. So, even though the stalks and leaves were only half dry, I decided to go ahead and harvest on Friday. Now there are six big, gorgeous hanging bunches of quinoa, ranging in colour from pale yellow through dark golden to pink and red, adorning my view from the French doors out to the garden.

This was just an experiment, and all the way along 75% of my brain has been convinced it couldn't succeed. After all, quinoa is a grain native to the Andes. What business did I have trying to grow it? But germination was great and the plants stayed healthy and formed heavy, loaded seed heads. I still have to see how the whole threshing/winnowing process goes, but unless it's a disaster, I think quinoa will be a regular feature in my garden from now on.

5 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Just last week one of the girls that I work with brought in Lasagne-Quinoa. The quinoa was used in place of the noodles. It had an interesting flavor and texture and was actually pretty good. Good luck with using yours Miriam, let us know, okay?

Paula said...

Oh good for you! I hope it works for you.

Paula said...

Hey wait a minute! Why wouldn't it work? The Andes are the highest mountain range in the world aren't they?Or was it longest? Now I can't remember. Anyway, the operative word here is 'mountain' which means cooler climate. Plus, longitudinally, aren't they around the same distance from the equator as you are? Roughly?

I think it'll work.

Paula said...

Oh nuts- I meant latitudinally...

Doc said...

This is what I love about gardening, it's always an adventure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...