Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Unfinished

When I became a school administrator, one of the things I couldn't get used to was the fact that no job was ever finished. As a teacher I could feel a sense of accomplishment when a set of papers was marked, or I finished teaching a class. But as an administrator I was responsible for the professional development of my teachers, and the delivery of curriculum, and the establishment of good assessment practices - and when the heck are those things ever finished?

It's a good thing I had some practice with this before we moved to Mucky Boots, because "unfinished" pretty much describes my life. In fact, Kim and I are becoming experts at not quite finishing any job we begin.

Take the workshop for example. It started like this...


...and now it looks like this...


But do you see this?


That's right: we haven't installed the two motion-sensitive light fixtures. Yet.

And then there's the master bathroom. It started like this...



...and now it looks like this...



But take a good look at that last picture. Notice the missing window trim? And missing baseboard? And maybe you spotted that the towel rails aren't hung. Yet.

The wood shed is a thing of beauty since we enclosed it...


...but there are still tools that haven't been hung.


And some of the shrubs we bought a couple of weeks ago have been planted...


...but others haven't.


The new gutters got installed, and all the high-up trim painted...


...but the lower-down trim is still the old forest green.

The fire pit got mostly weeded...


...but then my back started to hurt and the rest didn't get finished.


The living room got its coat of paint and new baseboard...


... but if you were here you could bend a little closer and see that the nail holes haven't been filled.


There are good reasons for much of this. Too much of the same kind of work makes my arthritis flare, so I have to switch to something else, and then somehow I never get back to the job I started with. Or professionals come in to do part of a job, so we drop what we're working on and never pick it up again. Or good weather hits so we move to outside jobs. Or bad weather comes so we move back to inside jobs. Or once something is functional all those finishing touches seem not quite so important.

If I was smarter and wiser I would have something philosophical to say about the zen of unfinished work. But all I can say is it feels like we're living in a big pile of loose ends.

I think it's time to start tying some up.

9 comments:

Joleen said...

No worries - that's life. The little jobs will still be there when you're ready to do them.

Rae said...

:) We installed flooring throughout the house a year ago when we bought it. Still don't have baseboard... Or transition strips... :)

Doc said...

They are unfinished for the good of your health? Well, it's like this.....If you finished all those jobs then you would have nothing to think about. And any Doctor would tell you that an inactive mind could lead to dementia or something worse....I just can't remember what that is.....hmmmmm? No don't tell me, I'll remember....hmmmm... what were we talking about?

Flartus said...

Well, from here your home looks beautiful. You are your own worst critic, you know!

I once did a post about our failures, since all my gardening pictures made me look like Martha Stewart. One of those failures was a bunch of azaleas we bought and never planted. Some of them survived over a year in pots. I still feel guilty for their deaths.

Anyway, you're just like the rest of the world (minus Martha). Life has been keeping you busy, and like Doc said, that keeps you more alive. As long as the chickens get fed, it's all good.

Paula said...

My house is full of stuff like that too, like the baseboards that need to be touched up from their installation (nail holes! and corners!) and the missing glass in the upper kitchen cupboards spring instantly to mind. We both need the same thing.

Punch list.

Mary Francess on the cello said...

"Life: It's not about perfection. It's about the joy of striving."
(Thomas Keller)

ruralaspirations said...

Everything looks so beautiful. Be proud of what you HAVE done.!

Jack said...

Your home is gorgeous! As someone just starting out (after a brief stint as a math & science teacher!) on the home-based life, I have serious projects-are-nearly-finished envy. I found your blog during a panicked search for pipe-based chicken pens (the neighbor's dog discovered my ranging hens; time to pen them, sadly) and now reading through other posts of yours, I look forward to following your adventures.

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Oh, Miriam, my dear. If you came here and saw all the unfinished works we have around us, you would gag!

We have two options to see it: one is the "stuff" will still be there tomorrow, or whenever we decide to get to it.

The other is (cynical as ever): "what are we going to do when we are done?" So, something always gets left behind... for the future.

Your place is simply, plain, absolutely GORGEOUS! Relax and enjoy it, sweet friend!
Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...