Friday, April 27, 2012

Camp Mucky Boots


There is a wonderful fire pit at Mucky Boots, right by the pond. It is made from brick and stone, about 15 feet across, with a nice, deep pit. Until now I have regarded it mostly as a weeding challenge, because of all the unwanted vegetation growing in the cracks between the bricks. But last night, for the first time in our three years here, we had a honest-to-goodness camp fire.

There was one other occasion when we burned brush in the pit, but it was a utilitarian event in the middle of the afternoon. Last night was different. Last night there was atmosphere: dusk, then dark, then a starlit sky; hot chocolate and snuggling; and a background chorus provided by the frogs calling our pond home. It was magical.

Here's a taste, just for you. Think of it as the Mucky Boots version of the fireplace channel.

video

6 comments:

jeanives said...

but what about wine!!!!

Paula said...

Yeah; I would have dug that very much.

Outside fire pit is going on the country place list.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I can feel the damp night air on my arms and practically taste the burned marshmallow on my tongue as I watch that little video.

Gotta love those frogs!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Marvelous goodness.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam!! For some reason, I've missed your last several posts; I've got to pay better attention! But in reading them, I realize how much I love your blog and seeing what you're up too. However, it would have been much nicer to catch-up in front of the warmth of that great fire, where I would have loved to enjoy s'mores--Because I have to have them when there's a campfire!! :-)

Shim Farm said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your fire pit. We got rid of ours last year. It was in a bad spot, but we will get around to installing another. Lovely to hear all the frogs. Just sublime!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...