Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tulips


Yes, it's tulip season once again, and once again I have an obsessive compulsion to document every single gorgeous blossom. I did this last year, and the year before, so you'd think I'd know by heart every tulip here at Mucky Boots. But here's the thing: I am positively, absolutely sure that there are tulips flowering this year that I did not plant and have never seen before.


I've had that feeling before, and only half-jokingly suggested someone was sneaking onto the property in the fall to plant a few new bulbs, just to keep my life interesting. This year, if I said the same thing, I would be only one-quarter joking. What's going on?


Take these ones, for example: simple white with a demure fringe of purple near the edge of each petal. I know I would remember these. I'm sure I've never seen these before. I didn't plant them, and yet here they are.


Ditto with these: there are three of them in a bed where I don't remember seeing any tulips before. Am I going crazy? Am I overusing italics?

On the other hand, some old favourites have returned for another year. So enjoy: here is the Annual Mucky Boots Tulip Parade.













9 comments:

Rae said...

I don't know how they develop different tulip varieties, but could it be that your varieties are crossing? Your pics are beautiful!

Charade said...

What beautiful tulips. I'm guessing someone is playing a very kind, sweet practical joke on you.

Retired English Teacher said...

I loved these photos. Tulips are no longer blooming here, so it was a real treat to see yours. I feel like I never really got to enjoy mine this year.

Actually, I was happy to read that you don't remember planting some of those tulips. I thought I was the only one who thought that. I have some tulips growing in a front garden that I really don't remember planting. I guess I should keep a more accurate planting journal.

Paula said...

It must be really gorgeous at your house....

Lyssa said...

Tulips are so lovely...but they don't really like it here, so they never seem to come back after the first year. I'm told there are people who dig up the bulbs and freeze them over the winter, but I think those people have way too much time on their hands.

Alison said...

How timely...I just discovered last night that our resident rabbit (nicknamed @#*%!!) had discovered the tasty bulbs in our tulip bed. In trying to rebury them, I also discovered quite the crop of new little (and medium) bulbs. So I re-planted them all around the bed, and am hoping for an exciting new tulip parade next spring.

Which makes me wonder if squirrels may have been importing bulbs from your neighbors? A long shot, but it's a straw to grasp if you're afraid you're going crazy!

jeanives said...

natural hybrids? or is that an oxymoron? Gorgeous regardless.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, they are so gorgeous !
I would be delighted if flowers just appeared with such beauty.
I had to smile at the thought of squirrels stealing the neighbors bulbs, and transplanting them in your garden :)
My squirrels just dig them up, and leave them for dead...
Lovely post !
~Jo

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Once again, I love your tulip parade and the new additions that have come uninvited are just as lovely!

I hope you all are doing well!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...