Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Horsetail patrol


This is horsetail. We have a lot of it here at Mucky Boots, in all the damp areas around the pond and the aquifer at the back of the property. It's a prehistoric, primitive plant, and there's a reason it has survived so well: it's indestructible. It is impossible to get rid of horsetail - it even grows through cement.

But we have a secret weapon: our chickens. They have decided that the tender horsetail fronds are a delicacy, and have been decimating the horsetail forest around the pond like there's no tomorrow.


We think the chickens started hanging out in the horsetail forest as a way of sheltering from the heat and the eagles overhead, but in no time the forest began to look like this.


I'm sure this will just put a momentary dent in the forest, and the horsetail will regrow quickly. But in the meantime the chickens are happy!

3 comments:

jeanives said...

We even have horsetail in the tiny courtyard of our new townhouse. Indestructible indeed

Paula said...

Horsetail is one of the most invasive, pernicious weeds ever. That is why I was stunned to see a glazed pot of horsetail by my sister's pool one summer (she's a plant saleman, after all and should know better). That's why it's in a pot, was all she said. I will admit that it looked pretty good there.

I'm looking forward to being able to set the girls on our weeds- wish I had an army of chickens like you do!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam!! I'm sorry I've not been around, its been an exhausting week time for me, and I've enjoyed reading your news and seeing what your chickens are up to--They look like an army going to battle!

I love the garlic photos as well, which goes right with your septic adventure! :-)))))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...