Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lavender jelly in the window



When I was young, one of the reasons I loved visiting my grandmother in Canmore was that I got to see once again the beautiful bottles that lined the windows of her house. They'd originally been filled with things like wine, or vinegar, or oil, but once they were empty my grandmother had filled them with coloured water of almost every imaginable hue. They looked like jewels to me, with the sun shining through.

This morning I made lavender jelly. Not much to it: cover lavender blossoms with boiling water and let steep for 20 minutes, then strain and use the liquid to make jelly. Ingredients: lavender-infused water, lemon juice, pectin and an incredible amount of sugar. No nutritional value in this one, just jewel-like beauty and a memory of my grannie. That's enough for me.

5 comments:

Rae said...

Oooh! That sounds good! I may have to look up a recipe for lavender jelly, as I'm planning on harvesting soon from the monstrous lavender at our other house. We just made jelly for the first time ever yesterday. Wild red huckleberry. Yum!

Natalie said...

Just the picture made me think of stained glass... The color and light so pretty. Love your reflections, the heartfelt act of making your jelly. Makes me smile.

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Some memories taste better than anything!! And those jars look neat against the light also.

I've never tasted lavender jelly. I'd imagine one would end up with a fantastic breath!
xxx

Holly House said...

That looks sooo good! I've never made jelly before, but it looks like it's worth growing some lavender just for this!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I too thought of stained glass when I first saw the picture !
I can only imagine the jewel-like colors as the sun shines through those little jars.
What a lovely memory you have shared with us.
The Lavender jelly sounds wonderful.
~Jo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...