Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bambi



What does the name "Bambi" bring to your mind? Probably a baby deer or a starlet, am I right?

Not me. Not any more. These days Bambi is my favourite salad green, beating out my old standby Anuenue hands down. Bambi is a gem romaine, which means it's the cutest bundle of crisp, dark green, tasty leaves you've ever held in your hand. The fully-grown heads are grapefruit-sized, and make a generous salad for one, and they're the best thing I have grown, as far as I'm concerned. And since I'm someone who doesn't naturally gravitate to lettuce salads, that's saying something.


We first had gem romaine at the Genoa Bay Cafe in a deconstructed Caesar salad, with the individual leaves stacked log-cabin style on the plate. I tracked down the seeds at Johnny's over the winter, and started them in the greenhouse in early March. We're eating it as fast as I can grow it - I'm on my third planting, and can see many more in my future.



Our local bunny is a fan, too. I'm thinking that once I plug all the holes in the fence he's using to make his way into the inner sanctum of the vegetable garden, I'm going to have to plant a little patch of Bambi in the pasture just for him. A bunny and his Bambi. It could be a movie...

4 comments:

Paula said...

Nuts. I just planted Anuenue for the first time this spring. Is Bambi a hybrid?

Miriam said...

Anuenue is great, too! I'm still planting it and I think it's especially good for overwintering, because it's so sturdy. I can't find anything on the package that says whether it's a hybrid or not. I did buy it in an organic pelleted form, which cost a little more but is sooooo worth it. No wasted seed!

Shim Farm said...

I am so hunting down that Bambi. It's going into the garden, hopefully next year!

Erin said...

Anuenue is an open pollinated variety. I'm going to try it for the hottest months, it I'm also going to find some of this Bambi!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...