Sunday, September 9, 2012

Laundry


I've been thinking a lot about laundry these days, mostly because the laundry room is one of the rooms we're currently redoing. Which means our washing machine and dryer are living a life of leisure on the front verandah, having a little holiday while we make their special room a bit more special.

I'm aware of this every time I take off my clothes, because the knowledge that we're going to have to go to the laundromat if we want clean clothes is making me give a lot more thought to whether any particular item can be worn just one more time. This is a good thing, because we've been pretty cavalier about the amount of laundry we do. We can certainly afford to be more frugal in our clothes-wearing and clothes-cleaning habits, for a whole variety of reasons: energy use, hydro bills, time and effort, and wear-and-tear on our clothes. So even once these last renovations are done and our washing machine and dryer return to their rightful place, I hope the habits we're forming now stick.


We made our first trip to the laundromat yesterday, partly because the dirty clothes pile was reaching toppling height, and partly because Kim's current dental adventures (dentist visit for tooth pain followed by crown followed by more pain followed by emergency root canal followed by infection followed by antibiotics  followed by very uncomfortable side effects from the antibiotics - all of which is probably going to be followed by a search for a new dentist) meant she wasn't up to installing baseboard, but she was game for sitting in a chair at the laundromat while I fed coins into machines. 

In case you lost your way somewhere in the middle of that ridiculously long sentence, we went to the laundromat yesterday. And it was a very good reminder of how sometimes being poor can make you poorer. Because it cost $2.75 to run a medium sized load through a washing machine, and about the same to get it dry. Five bucks a load? Plus soap? Plus whatever it costs on public transit to get there? Wow. This is where I start thinking about community cooperatives, where people could share washing facilities without being gouged by laundromat owners. My mom always wonders why every family has to own their own set of luggage - couldn't we all share? I wonder the same thing about washing machines.

Speaking of my mom, being at the laundromat made me think of one of the happy memories from my teenage years. Our washing machine broke down one summer and it took a few weeks to get repaired. So my mom and dad would take the laundry to the laundromat - just the two of them - and spend the evening having a laundry date, sitting on the hood of the station wagon and eating bean salad from the local KFC. Even as a fourteen-year-old I thought that was pretty cool - that my parents liked each other's company enough that doing laundry together could make a date.

Since I'm writing about all things laundry, you might be wondering how things are progressing on the last phase of The Slowest Renovations of All Time. Here's the Before picture of the laundry room, which you've already seen. (Do I need to tell you that wallpaper was not one of the selling features of the house?)


Then it looked like this...


...and now it looks like this.


I know our choice of flooring might not be to everyone's taste, but I laugh every time I see it. In a good way. I love that floor. In fact, because I love it so much, here's a longer view of the mudroom and laundry room.


Burger and milkshake, anyone?

10 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

First: healing thoughts and well wishes for Kim.
Next: laundry date = brilliant, true love.
Finally... your floor choice is smart. I know when something about a space makes me happy, I will feel good about being there, and that makes whatever chore is applied there will be that much easier to take.

Toni aka irishlas said...

I love, love, love that floor!!

Hope Kim is on the mend. Been there, done that!

Paula said...

Oh man- new dentist indeed!

love the floor.

the most kickass laundry room I've seen to date continues to be on pages 212-215 of Martha Stewart's New Old House. Only the checkerboard in on the walls, along with some very fun paintings that bring to mind old advertising.

I think anything you can do to make doing the laundry fun is a great idea- whether it's making the floor so fun it makes you smile or having such a great relationship that you can make a date out of it. Your parents sound thoroughly awesome.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh, my stars. I LOVE that floor. Don't let anyone give you any guff about it, not one bit, ya' hear. That floor is awesome.

Second - my H has dental difficulties. Yet your lady is tougher than he, because she actually took care of it. He just complains. So she is awesome. 'nuff said.

Also - The seeds are here! The seeds are here! I'm somebody now!
Thanks for poppies, lady. I can't wait to plant some Mucky Boots on my land...

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Love the floor, really dislike the Dentist.

It's hard enough to have to go to one, much less one that is less then stellar. Here people will drive for a hour to get a better one. Sorry for Kim, hope she recovers soon.

I have a melon colored kitchen, and pantry/laundry room...I dream of light aqua....keep dreaming Jen.

But at least after over 20 years I no longer share a washer and dryer. What a delight that is.

Love your floor, but then again I already said that, but I do.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

oxyyc said...

Hello Miriam and Kim,
I had coffee with your mom yesterday and she told me of your blog. I love it and thank you for taking the time to share with the rest of us! We also met through Gera Benoit on Gabriola Island.
We are into Autumn now, temperature dipped to -1, bu lovely crisp days.
Take Care,
Sharon Stevens

Stephanie said...

This is my third visit to your blog. I found you through Jen's Muddy Boots list of blogs. I have added you to my my blog list and had to comment on that gorgeous floor you put down in your home.

Erin said...

Okay...I just found your blog tonight. I LOVE it. I LOVE it. I LOVE it.

Erin said...

Your floor is just like my grandmothers floor in ontario when I was little. I come from a long line of farmers and this is super nostalgic.

Miriam said...

Thanks for coming to visit, Erin - I am happy to know the floor gives us some farmer credentials!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...