Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peach


I want to say we grew these, but the reality is the tree grew these. We really had little to do with it. The tree just did its thing, minding its own business, hanging out in the vegetable garden with the cabbages: it blossomed beautifully in the spring, grew fruit bountifully though the summer, and now, in early fall,  has presented us with fifteen gorgeous, juicy pounds.

We've already eaten a pound or two, more have gone into a crumble for dessert after tonight's supper, and some will be made into jam. A handful were earwiggy and were given to the chickens, but that doesn't feel like a loss. After all, the peach tree shades the entrance to the coop, so the chickens have been eyeing the ripening fruit hanging above their heads all summer, waiting for some to fall. It seems mean to whisk it all away without giving them a taste. And for them, the odd earwig is a bonus. 

(Want to know how fast can six chickens devour a peach? Fast.

6 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Your peaches are just picture perfect!! I can almost smell them from here and feel that fuzz!! :-)

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Hi, I'm Jen from Muddy Boot Dreams, lovely to meet you. We have just moved up from White Rock to the Okanagan, hence the name Muddy Boot Dreams.

Another BC blogger, so good to find you on Kim's blog.

Ah our dream of a farm called Muddy Boots may be a little out of reach due to the fact that my allergies are out of this world, but I can still live vicariously through other bloggers that have taken the plunge.

Love your blog, and I am looking forward to reading your story.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

jeanives said...

Those are gorgeous!!!

Kris said...

Those are pretty peaches. I didn't know they grew in Canada. You'd think, living in Georgia, the Peach state, that I could grow peaches. I guess I could, but I have only ever seen little puny crazy looking peaches around here. I love peaches.

Thanks again for the poppy seeds!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Peaches. Oh, they look gorgeous.

But the, uh, earwiggy factor just grosses me out. Seriously grosses me out. Like I just threw up in my mouth a little

I harvested a giant basketful from my friends property and brought them home and processed them with gloves on, at arms length, over the sink, mini-shrieking every 2 minutes or so as an earwig fell out of the top, or pit, or bottom or whatever.

GOD, those things are gross.

But you got some lovely peaches, lady.

Erin said...

How on earth do you manage with all the leaf curl we get here?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...