Friday, January 18, 2013

Drought and small pleasures

Drought? On Vancouver Island in January? Believe it or not, we haven't had any rain (or snow, for that matter) in eight days. Impossible.

That's Item Number One on today's list of fascinating news from Mucky Boots. Here's Item Number Two.


Yes, chocolate pudding. Newsworthy chocolate pudding. Newsworthy because I am back on my anti-arthritis can't eat anything fun diet: no gluten, no dairy, no eggs, no caffeine, as little of any kind of sugar as I can manage. Which means small pleasures seem hard to come by. Until this, that is.


Quinoa Revolution is the second cookbook produced by the sister team of Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming. Their first book, Quinoa 365, has been a favourite of mine, so it was an easy decision to add the second book to my cookbook collection. 

To celebrate my new purchase I decided to make Cafe Mocha Pudding. I don't want to violate any copyright laws, but since I'm giving them a free plug maybe the authors won't mind, so here's the gist of the recipe.

Cook 1/2 cup quinoa in three times as much coffee (decaf, if you prefer). Since this is more liquid than is normally used, the result is very soft, almost mushy quinoa. Put it in a blender with 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk), 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 tsp vanilla and as much of any kind of sweetener as you would like (they suggest 1/3 cup sugar, but I used a small glug of maple syrup instead). Then blitz the heck out of it for 2-3 minutes, until it is very smooth.

The authors then suggest refrigerating it for an hour or two before eating, but I found the looser texture right out of the blender a bit more pleasant than after it had set up, at which point it was pretty stiff. Either way, it was delicious, legal, and definitely a pleasure. As you can tell from this photo.


Just think of the flavour variations that are possible with this technique: I could cook the quinoa in chai tea instead of coffee. Or green tea. Or any flavour of tea. Or lemon-spiked water. Or orange juice. Or berry juice. Or almond milk with a vanilla pod.

Yum. That's all I can say, just yum.

15 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

And thank goodness for "Yum," right?
I hope your choices pay off... that you enjoy relief from any and all ailments. ((hugs))

Stephanie said...

Wow, going to try this soon, sounds yummy!

Paula said...

Yay!! a guilty pleasure that won't make you sick!

Actually, since quinoa is high in protein and pretty low on the glycemic index (I'm pretty sure, but not certain), I should think about making this one for Steve because I think he could eat it without whacking out his blood sugar.

Shim Farm said...

Yum! That does look good! I have their first cookbook and use it a lot. I came across an interesting article on quinoa on the CBC yesterday:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/17/business-quinoa-prices.html

Like many things on CBC.com, it's poorly written but does bring up a few interesting points.

I'm going to keep enjoying my quinoa, and hope you will, too!

kara said...

Woah! That is like quinoa magic!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I know what 'yum' looks like and that's it! :-) I'm glad you found something that you can 'legally' enjoy!!

Alison said...

Wow, that does look delicious! Miss Chef has us stocked up on quinoa, so I just might try this. (Also, sorry for misspelling your name in my last blog post--I knew it wasn't quite right, but I think it was past my bedtime when I wrote it!)

backyardfeast said...

Sorry I didn't read this earlier and know that presenting you with a butter/sugar/dairy/wheat cake to try was so cruel! Glad you've found your way to some "legal" treats, and hope it's short term?

Thanks again for visiting...

Miriam said...

Toni, your upside down apple caramel yumminess cake was worth it - and it was only a THIN slice!

Stephanie said...

I made this today but was quite watery after being in the fridge for several hours, thInking perhaps an ingredient is missing. Been searching the web for the full recipe. Looks like a book purchase is on order just for the recipe. It was delicious despite the watery consistency.

Miriam said...

Stephanie, that's too bad! I have made it again (this time with chai tea instead of coffee) and it has again been quite stiff. Are you really blitzing the heck out if it in the blender? I have a vitamix and I leave it in there for a good two minutes. And has the quinoa soaked up all the cooking liquid?

Stephanie said...

No it did not soak all the coffee. I don't have a vitamix blender, just a plain blender.

Miriam said...

Then I would be sure to keep cooking the quinoa until it has absorbed all the coffee. You want it really overcooked, very soft and almost mushy. A plain blender should work (that's what they suggest in the recipe) but if you have a food processor, maybe try that the next time and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Dude.
Good plug for the book.
And now...I'm writing that recipe down.
Thanks!

Stephanie said...

I did the recipe again and used my magic bullet instead of blender. Worked like a charm and oh my, it was delicious. Even hubby liked it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...