Monday, January 21, 2013

Sunshine


Not only has it forgotten to rain for days and days, the sun has been shining

Is there anyone else in my neighbourhood who is as gobsmacked as me? Winters here are usually wet, wet, wet and gloomy, gloomy, gloomy. If that weren't bad enough, apparently our December tied for the fewest hours of sunshine on record for our area.

Mother Nature seems to be working overtime to make up for it, because it has been sunny and clear day after day. Crispy cold, with the temperature dipping below freezing every night and staying within a couple of degrees of that during the day. But with the sun shining, who cares? It makes me want to move to Alberta, the land of big skies and winter sunshine.


Everyone and everything is enjoying the sun, from the chickens to the vegetables to the bulbs starting to think about sprouting.


 The freezing temperatures every night have been hard on the greens still hanging on in the garden, but man, are those greens tough. This chard had no protection from the snow we had through December, but just look at it basking in the sunshine, gearing up for its spring resurrection.


The big surprise, though, has been the Bambi lettuce. I know I've gone on and on about how much I like this gem lettuce, and I've also written about how well it survived the first of the cold weather. But even after two weeks of freezing night time temperatures, with only a flimsy row cover for protection, look how well it's doing. Remember, this is lettuce we're talking about!


Most of the rest of the garden isn't looking so hot. I was a bit lackadaisical about my fall clean-up this year so there is a lot of work waiting for me once everything unfreezes. 


But as long as the sun keeps shining, who cares?

9 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

"Global Weirding"
Read that somewhere,
and everywhere there
seem to be signs!

Alison said...

Wow...if this keeps up, we may end up being neighbors one day! Thanks for showing your not-so-pristine bed; it's nice to know I'm not the only one who sometimes lets things go a bit longer than they should. :)

jeanives said...

We've been getting morning fog to go with the cold nights, but gorgeous afternoons and sunsets. In January. Definitely not what we expect but we're loving it.

Stephanie said...

Lucky you to have sunshine down island. We have been socked in with fog for the last couple of days.

Paula said...

Wow! where did you say you got that seed again? I mean for the Bambi lettuce.

Erin said...

We've been having fog, weird, and lots of sun too!! I've gone on a cleaning and decluttering frenzy. It's been awesome.

Miriam said...

Paula, the Bambi lettuce came from Johnny's Seeds. Get the pelleted seed - it's a bit more expensive but way worth it!

Lyssa said...

We had a hard freeze in Los Angeles a few days ago, and now it's warm enough to garden in a tank top. Weird, all right...

Shim Farm said...

Well, we got sunny weather too, but with temps as low as -28C. I think I might have to run away soon.

I'm keeping my eyes open for that Bambi lettuce this year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...