Monday, June 21, 2010

Carrots


You may remember that one of my gardening resolutions for the year was to grow better carrots. Last year's carrots were pretty much pathetic: stunted, forked, riddled with black lines. Ick. We ate some, but it wasn't the pleasure it should have been.

Today I turned a corner in my development as a gardener: I pulled the first two carrots from this year's garden and they are perfect! Even though I picked them early, they are long, beautifully tapered, and completely unblemished. Of course now that I write that, an infestation of some weird bug will descend tomorrow and turn them all into the mutant carrots I had last year....

But for now they are wonderful, and I am feeling quite tickled with myself.

The secret? Using row covers from the time I seeded until the greens were about 8 inches high (I would have left the cover on longer, but it was needed elsewhere). And I think planting in a bed where I grew potatoes last year helped, too - all the digging and re-digging and digging again for all the little AWOL potatoes meant the soil was deeply dug and beautifully loose, perfect for growing long, straight carrots.

4 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

Those look good!...In a stew, or with some ranch, or in a salad...hold still, I think I can get one....

Paula said...

Congratulations! I think that great tilth is the secret to all root vegetables. I'm hoping my parsnips are doing well this year; they're in much better soil than last year, and last year's were basically nonexistent. I'm trying carrots for the first time this year, so I hope they are doing as well as yours did.

Of course, the one really frustrating thing about root veg is that you can't check on how they're doing without destroying one to pull it up and see...

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I just read on another blog about rabbits, I will hope that they and every other varmet and bug stay far away from those beautiful carrots! :-)

Natalie said...

They look perfectly munchable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...