Sunday, June 13, 2010

More poppies



If I'm not boring you with posts on our chicks, I'm probably boring you with posts on our poppies. So if you've had enough about the Mucky Boots poppy explosion, thank you very much, and want to move on to something else, please feel free.

We've had our challenges in the growing department this year, what with the crappy weather and the deer and the mice and the strange diseases attacking our fruit trees. But for some reason our poppies are really, really happy. And the cavalcade is unending, with lots more to come. The deep red ones are like velvet, and the orangey-red ones I swear would glow in the dark. The pink ones are as frilly as a tutu, and the yellow ones as refreshing as a cool drink on a hot day. And they are big!

So here are a few more photos of Mucky Boots poppies. These may not be the last - there is an entirely different kind of poppy, one I don't even remember from last year, getting ready to bloom. It makes me think the word has spread, and poppies from all over the neighbourhood are coming to join the parade.





3 comments:

Natalie said...

No. Not possible. Death by poppy boredom could not happen... not with these beauties. Truly, they are amazing... size, color, intricacy. Thank you for sharing these!

sissyjane said...

I have tried soooo many times to grow poppies, and never succeded. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Paula said...

Some of those are pretty wild looking! But beautiful. As of this weekend I know better than to plant them. I helped my sister in law prepare a chunk of her garden for sweet corn, and while we were taking a break her husband said that he found a bunch of poppies in the same garden that he wants to leave. "Absolutely not!" says Susie. Evidently, a few years ago her husband was stomping the woods up behind their house and ran across some 'poppies growing in a clearing'. Yeah, that's what I think too. Anyway, Steve brought home some seeds with him and now they are EVERYWHERE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...