Monday, June 14, 2010

Scapes



Toady we had our first real meal of the season from the garden. Not completely, but substantially. It was prompted by the discovery of garlic scapes in the garden.


Scapes are the flower of the garlic plant, and their appearance tells you the garlic is getting close to being ready to harvest. When they curl around in a full circle you can either wear them as bracelets or cook with them. We did both.


We made a frittata with chard and spinach from the garden, seasoned with the sliced scapes, onions and feta, and had it with a salad - also from the garden - decorated with nasturtium petals. Yum.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Yum, indeed.

Miriam- do you know if all garlic grow scapes or is it just the hard neck variety?

I planted garlic for the first time last fall- soft neck- and a couple or so of the leaves are starting to turn color but I'm not sure they're done yet. I'm thinking they need a few more weeks, but since this is the first time growing it, I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

Natalie said...

!!!
Splendid.
I planted garlic bulbs.
I stare at them and beg them: Tell me when you are ready to come up? They never reply, but now I know the sign. Thank you!

Miriam said...

Hmm... I posted a reply comment but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. So here it is again!

Yes, only hardnecks produce scapes. I did a little research and it seems like there are as many ways of telling when to harvest garlic as there are growers of garlic! But a good, common sense source about harvesting is at http://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm

I feel like I should be handing out fresh-breath mints or something...

sissyjane said...

Oh boy, Dinner looks great! Our garden is really just starting to grow. Jealous...

Paula said...

Thanks for the link Miriam.

...and don't worry about the garlic breath...we all have it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...