Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June glory


My favourite flower, hands down, is the peony. I love how gorgeously blowsy they are, how they bloom with such abandon they need help to stay upright. They give me all the pleasure of an impressionist still life with no artist required. And they make me think of my of my grandmother who grew them in her West Vancouver garden.

Usually it feels like I don't have enough time to appreciate them while they are blooming - after all, June is the second busiest month for a teacher, after September. Now in my post-teaching life, I have had more time to enjoy the peonies in the garden this year - but still not enough time, since they don't last very long. But that makes them even more special.


There are lots of peonies at Mucky Boots, and every day they bloom I thank the gardeners who came before me who put them there. Especially the one who thought to surround them with purple scented geraniums.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I remember the first time I saw a peony and felt as though it were my first encounter with a flower... reliving that awe and wonder. Yours are awesome and wonderful.

Paula said...

Peonies are my favorite flower hands down too! I can't tell if it's because they remind me of really old fashioned roses, or if I really like the old fashioned roses because they remind me of peonies. This is the first time I've lived somewhere where I can actually grow them for myself, so I planted three this winter. Actually, I planted four, but only three came up. I'm going to do more, though. I also put another favorite that I've been wanting to grow for a long time but wasn't able to because of climate: a lilac bush. Yay flowers!

I think my favorite picture was the last one- very pretty!

jeanives said...

Inspried by you again I have just posted some photos of our roses. Our 2 peonies have been gone for several weeks - how can our climate be so different from 45 miles away?
Your photos are fab.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love peonies, and set some out this year. While I only got a single bloom this year from each, I'm hopeful that in the years to come, I'll enjoy mine as much you are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...