Tuesday, August 24, 2010

End of summer


It feels like fall at Mucky Boots. There's still a full week of August left and it continues to be hot and dry, but there's something different about the sun light - the angle? the intensity? - that speaks of autumn. I need a fleece when I go out to the verandah with my early morning coffee now, and dusk is signalling bedtime for the chickies earlier than it used to. But the biggest sign is the irresistible urge I have to buy new school supplies. I'm about to turn 48, and this is only the third time since I was 5 that I haven't returned to school in September, either as a student or a teacher. That kind of ingrained patterning is hard to change - and why would I want to? Why give up the hopeful imagining that comes with embarking on a new year, the feeling that anything is possible provided I have enough sharp new pencils and different colours of sticky notes?



I'll be absent for the next while: I'm heading here with my mom for this. How lucky can I be? I wish you all a peaceful and happy end-of-summer, and I'll see you here again in September.

5 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Oh Miriam, it sounds like a wonderful trip!!! I wish I could come along--Can I if I bring you a bouquet of new sharpened pencils? :-))
Be safe, have fun, and we'll look forward to hearing all about everything when you return!

Flartus said...

Lovely! Banff has some spectacular scenery, if I'm remembering correctly from my old nature photography calendars.

I know what you mean about fall, and school. I was very jealous the first two or three years I didn't get to go off to school with the kids...but then I enjoyed the fact that MY summer wasn't over 'til I said so! :D

Bon voyage!

Paula said...

N-i-c-e Miriam!! I wish I could go with you guys. Wow. Have a good time, and do tea for me!

jeanives said...

Say hi to Yvonne from us and watch out for bears! We are off to the Maritimes tomorrow for 3 weeks of family stuff.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Have a lovely trip. I'm sure we'll hear all about it on your return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...