Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hangin' out in the dirt

Remember the pile 'o dirt? Apparently these former Math and Science teachers aren't very good at estimating volume, because we ordered too much soil for our landscaping project - way too much. So for the last number of weeks we've had a slightly smaller pile o' dirt sitting in our front yard waiting for us to think of some other use to put it to.

Our neighbour Nick gave us a good idea. As he predicted, our chickies quickly decimated the vegetation in their enclosed yard, and he suggested we section part of it off and grow some fall rye for them. But the existing soil is poor and rocky and needs some help, so this morning Kim got shoveling, with a little help from me. Nine wheelbarrows of soil and three of compost later, we called it quits: too darn hot. It will take a few more mornings of wheelbarrowing before there's enough good soil to plant the rye, but in the meantime the chickens have the perfect use for it: dirt baths.

8 comments:

Tina Eudora said...

Oh my goodness those chickens are hilarious! I haven't been around chickens since the farm when I was 5 so I had forgotten the antics they can get up to. Too funny!
Tina xo

Natalie said...

I just came inside from watching my own chicken channel and the dust bath show... now here I am, riveted!
They make it look so glorious!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

This is REAL Chicken TV, and I have to admit I watched it 3 times, it's much more entertaining than what's on the other TV; I just loved it and I think your chickens loved it too!

Paula said...

Oh good- rye is supposed to be great for breaking up soil.

Your chickens also look like they're trying to hang out in the nice cool soil. We had a neighborhood Doberman in Florida who used to make a wallow in the earth under the viburnum bushes and just hang out there all day because it was cooler. She was an outside dog, poor baby.

Doc said...

Chickens can be so goofy at times, I am amazed at how mesmerized they become during their dust bath one can actually walk right up and pick them up and they act as though they are in a trance, put them back down and they are still glazed over.

Toni aka irishlas said...

My hens are like a cat rolling in catnip when they are dust bathing. Go figure. Maybe we could all learn a lesson from them. I personally prefer rolling in the sheets over dirt ;-)

Flartus said...

Looks like it's a bath AND a snack.

We would love your leftover dirt, of course! Our "raised bed" garden is about ground level, still. Maybe this fall we'll have the budget for some real dirt.

BTW, I wanted to let you know your idea about miniature rafts in my washer made me laugh. I haven't mentioned it to Miss Chef yet, because she might well come home from the store one day with some little boats...

amothersheartinwords said...

Oh! the original Chicken TV! I love it! They are so beautiful! And, obviously happy.

We always used our excess pile 'o dirt as 'mulch' anywhere we didn't want weeds....

I'm certain it will be gone before you know it!

Thanks for the smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...