Sunday, August 1, 2010

Growing on the dark side

Enough of all these pretty flowers. Sure, they're nice enough. But most of my time in the garden isn't spent interacting with pretty flowers - it's spent battling the weeds. So here's what's growing on the dark side at Mucky Boots.

Dandelions, in every stage of development from bud to fluff.


Thistles, though I usually catch them before they reach this stage.


I know oregano is technically not a weed, and I really do appreciate the first 27 clumps of it. After that, it's a weed.


Horsetail ferns, which are a permanent fixture around the pond and at the back of the property where it's wet. There is absolutely no way ever discovered or invented to get rid of horsetail fern. It will grow through landscape cloth. It will grow through plastic. It will grow through six inches of gravel, plastic and landscape cloth. You have to admire that kind of persistence.


And I have no idea what this is, but it keeps growing in the beds along the perimeter of the pond. It starts off in a nondescript weed-like way. Then it erupts like a party favour in a giggly mass of tendrils and tiny pink flowers. It's so good-natured it usually wins a reprieve.


6 comments:

Paula said...

Dandelions don't bug me much- they're good for the bees, and the greens are good in salads when you get them early enough, not to mention they're free. I'll snap off seed heads though, just to better my chances.

I think that if I had a whole field full of weeds though, that I'd get a goat.

Flartus said...

I think our version of horsetail fern must be the bermuda grass composing our lawn. Unfortunately, it isn't satisfied with the lawn, it wants to be in every bed of any sort. I've pulled up 6-foot root strands that have snaked their way underground to invade my flower & veg patches. Plus, any part of the plant can root on its own...so imagine what happens when the lawn mower blows clippings everywhere!

Yes, it's an admirable, persistent plant, but that's not what I'm thinking when the roots won't come up!

amothersheartinwords said...

Weeds are some of mother nature's flowers in the wrong spot! My garden has been overtaken - I'm now inspired to post pictures of it - you know, to keep it real - but that will be next week, as I'm at the BEACH!!!

Toni aka irishlas said...

What amothersheartinwords said..
just in the wrong spot.

They can be buggers to remove, though...

Anonymous said...

Your plant with the "giggly mass of tendrils" looks like a willowherb, in the Epilobium genus ("family"). Same family as fireweed, if you know what that bright pink late summer wildflower looks like. This one has weedy tendencies but is most likely not invasive like the dandelions and bull thistle. Hope this helps! Your photos are lovely - I'm glad to be able to live vicariously through you in such a beautiful spot. Karin in Colorado.

Miriam said...

Karin, I think you are right, and it makes sense given its location at the edge of the pond! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...