Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fair day



This is the weekend of the Cowichan Exhibition, so of course we had to go. After all, we're farmers now. There was a tractor pull, a threshing demonstration...


... and because this is logging country, the men did manly things like sawing logs with antique gas-powered saws.


There were competitions for the best jams and jellies, the best pie, the most colourful squash...


...the best local honey...


...the best cake made by a man (the lone entry won first prize)...


...and the best decorated cake (presumably by a woman). Sheesh.


The 4-H club kids were busy showing off their projects...


...while family members watched and cheered them on.


We went into the animal barns to see goats...


...pigs...


...and the strangest chicken-like objects we have ever seen.





Most important: we would have eaten the mini sugar donuts, but we're sticking to our gluten-free diet and had to go with the fresh cut fries instead. No sacrifice is too great where our health is concerned.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Great pictures! I especially liked the antique machinery, don't ask why....

Flartus said...

I love the fair. It's all about the animals, for me. And maybe a corn dog.

(My first thought when I saw the photo of the threshing was "That looks messy--I wouldn't want to do that in the living room." What is the MATTER with me, lol!?)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam!!! I have missed your last few posts (having my meltdown) and have really missed you and your blog updates!! Your trip sounds like it was wonderful and I LOVE the new chickens that you've added!! I can certainly respect and understand why Kim is having 2nd thoughts about making dinner out of the roosters!
My husband is a big fair goer from the time he was a kid in 4H. He really loves going to see everything and so do I!

THANKS for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind comments!! I'm so glad you're back and I hope that you and Kim have had a good weekend and are all cozy by the fire!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Oh, by the way, when we go to the fair any limitations on our diet goes right out the window when we have a funnel cake!

Toni aka irishlas said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day for the fair!

Love all the exotic chickens! Well, I love all the animals. I'd want to take them all home with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...