Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Looking for beauty



I'm really glad to see the other side of the winter solstice - if the days had become any shorter I was ready to start hitch-hiking towards the southern hemisphere. It has been (typically) grey and dreary - and so dim, even during the day, that it's hard to keep my point-and-shoot flash from going off when I take photos outside.

I went looking for some beauty today, something to keep me from feeling as gloomy as the weather: we have had to cancel our Christmas trip to see my family because of a sinus condition I can't resolve before the flight. So I tried to feel grateful it's just my sinuses and nothing worse, to count the blessings of friends happy to set two more places at their Christmas dinner, to be joyful on Frankie's behalf that he won't have to spend the holidays in a kennel. And I went outside to see if my sleeping, rooted friends in the garden could bring a bit of peace to my heart.

Of course they did.




5 comments:

Toni aka irishlas said...

I can always find solace in nature. Even if it's nothing more than standing in the garden.

These are lovely shots and it goes to show that even within the grayness of winter beauty can be found. It's just us that has a hard time wrapping our heads around the fact that it's just outside our back door.

Hope you feel better soon! Good thing your not flying with a sinus problem - ouch!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm glad you were able to find the beauty in nature! There's just something about seeing those little 'treasures' that are sometimes overlooked otherwise!! I do hope you feel better!! When we lived in Alaska I was plagued with sinus issues, and flew once with an infection--It was a whole new level of pain!! Take care and I hope you have a wonderful and enjoyable holiday!!

jeanives said...

A sad day for you and evident in your post but the photos are lovely. It is hard to disappoint your family. If there is any chance at all, not likely, we will move Christmas dinner out to the deck just for the joy of being able to (and the joy of having gas heaters).

Paula said...

Oh Miriam I'm so bummed for you!

To not be able to join your family for Christmas and feel like crap on top of it. That just truly sucks.

I sincerely hope that you will at least feel better on the 25th!

Your pictures are beautiful as usual, by the way.....

Hah! My verification word is 'sucto'!

Flartus said...

Miriam, I am wishing you and Kim a very joyful Christmas. Sorry you had to cancel your trip, but I've found that traveling in January is even better! So look forward to the next visit and enjoy your dinner with friends tonight.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...