Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Welcome back friend



My shadow. I haven't seen this for a long time. The sun is out today, and the forecasters promise about a week of sunnier than normal and colder than normal temperatures. I'd say that's a fair exchange.

We've been busy working on the house - specifically painting and installing baseboard in the living room and finally, after two years, in the bedroom upstairs. It always amazes me what a difference a coat of paint can do, and after years of living with the raggedy edges of baseboard-less rooms, it feels so nice to see something more finished.

While Kim takes the lead on the baseboard front today, I've been getting ready for the return of more friends: Margaret and Mary, who are coming for lunch tomorrow. So I've been making veggie pate and bread, and a vegetable soup with tomatoes, red beets, yellow beets, carrots, garlic, onions and leeks all grown this year at Mucky Boots.

A visit from friends, hot soup on a cold day, my sweetheart trotting up and down the stairs with pieces of baseboard, Frankie playing B-A-L-L in the sunshine: that's home to me.

3 comments:

Paula said...

ah! Sounds like a great day!

Flartus said...

Oh my, I just know that house will be gorgeous when you two get done with it (just in time to move into a "retirement lifestyle community," right?) But even now, I can imagine how nice it will be to sit in the living room gazing at your beautifully finished walls.

You honor your friends by preparing them such a home-grown soup! I'm impressed with your harvest; I hope you are too!

jeanives said...

The sky this morning is awesome in the true sense of the word.The ancients would have been calling it some kind of omen, good or bad. Our good friend PKT says there is movement in the spirit world and this morning it was believable. In the meantime let's celebrate the sunny days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...