Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Construction



Another sign that spring is on the way is the evidence of raised bed construction in the vegetable garden. As well as adding new beds (like last year's blueberry beds) we have been slowly reconstructing the existing beds, built from inexpensive but short-lived spruce, with big, beefy, durable cedar. We got another one done this week, and doesn't it look nice?


We're getting pretty good at this: we made sure to do it when the ground was soft and soggy to make driving in the posts much easier, and our corners are the tidiest yet. Even the chickens passing by in Chicken Alley were impressed enough to slow down for a closer look.

6 comments:

Flartus said...

Oh, I'm jealous...our biggest obstacle so far is the cost of the dirt to fill in our one big bed!

I agree with the chickens; they are worth stopping to check out. :D

Rae said...

Looks great! Makes me want to put a few in at our place. :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam!! I just read your last post and have to say again, how much I love your chickens!!! I'll bet if you gave them a little bit more instruction they would build those raised beds for you--and by the way, if building those beds doesn't give you spring fever, nothing will!!

Have you ever seen the movie Chicken Run?

Paula said...

Cedar is nicer, and longer lasting, but way expensive!!

Today is groundhog day, and I think it's pretty dark in Punxutawny today, so no shadow there (but I think they're getting their fair share of winter!). However, it's bright sun-shiny here, so I guess winter will stick for another six weeks. Last year, it nearly lasted until summer!

By the way, the new box looks swell.

Miriam said...

Kim, yes I finally got around to seeing Chicken Run just a few weeks ago, after being told by a whole bunch of people that I needed to see it. What fun! We're thinking of arranging an outdoor showing for the chickens...

And Paula, yes the cedar is definitely more expensive. But living in the middle of logging country means we have lots of small local mills where we can get rough cut cedar for quite a bit cheaper than at a big box store. And it's full dimension, too - nice and beefy!

Toni aka irishlas said...

That is a nice looking bed! I love the "beefy" cedar. Like Paula mentioned, it's so pricey, however. That's great that you have a local source for it!

I'm still digging that chicken alley! My husband got a kick out of the video!

Won't be long before we are all able to get out and get our hands dirty and be slopping through "the season of mud". I, for one, can't wait!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...