Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snowdrop-mageddon


My beloved Toronto-dwelling sister is a little irritated with me. It has to do with a reference to spring in one of my recent blog posts, at a time when most people in Canada were (still are) dealing with blizzards and white-outs and frozen cars that won't start. Well, darling sister, you might not want to read any further, because we're having a snow-mageddon here, too. Or, rather, a snowdrop-mageddon.

Yes, the snowdrops are magically lifting themselves out of the ground - here, there, and everywhere. In the perennial beds where they're supposed to be. In the lawn. In the vegetable garden. We're very glad to see them, because even though our winter wasn't that bad, relatively speaking, it felt bad. And besides, they're beautiful little things, even though you have to bend down really far to see just how pretty they are.


Other early-comers are appearing, too. Like our old friend the winter aconite...


...and in one of the perennial beds, right by an emerging forest of snowdrops, the first sign of rhubarb.


Spring! Almost...

6 comments:

Paula said...

Let's face it- it's been weirdly warm up here in the PNW, and Nature is confused.

I'm just worried stuff is going to get away from me, or that fruit trees and canes will blossom and then freeze.

I am pretty excited that the daffodils and tulips are coming up already, though, and there are growing buds on the roses and lilac.

It's rough being so conflicted about the warm weather we're having!

jeanives said...

We are in Calistoga, CA for the weekend and it was 78F yesterday!Talk about weirdly warm...

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Yes we are so cold and snowy and icy etc. etc. out here in Alberta too but am enjoying your pictures of spring arriving in your area....tempted relocate to your end of the country after this winter I tell you!!

Toni aka irishlas said...

I'm so jealous! We still have snow on the ground. Blah!

Doc said...

Just love those snow drops!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam--I've got to start paying better attention to my 'dashboard' because I've missed a couple of your posts, and that bugs me when that happens! :-)

But I wanted to say about this post that I'm so jealous of your winter aconite!! When you posted about this last year, I had no idea what it was, and was so glad that you did! All I knew is that I had it at my last house, loved it and want it where I live now...But I looked for seeds to no avail....This year maybe--Until then, just as I do with your chickens, I'll live vicariously through YOU! :-))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...