Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Great Divide


There's a new sight as you walk the road from the house to the back half of the property: double gates, attached to a fence that stretches from one side of our property to the other. Gates and a fence that mark the beginning of a new, peaceful entente between Miriam the Gardener and The Flock of Destroyer Chickens.

You might remember that way back in December Kim and I began construction on this fence. At that time I optimistically expected it would take a week or two to finish. I should know better by now - none of our construction projects, with the exception of the time we jacked up the chicken coop, ever goes according to schedule. Life intervenes: bad weather that makes it punishment to work outside, colds that lay us up for a while, other jobs with higher priority. Sometimes it's frustrating that it seems to take so long to get things done, but other times it's perfectly lovely to opt for a morning snuggled up reading a book instead. Balance, it's all about balance.

In any event, the last gates got hung this week. They were a bit of a challenge for Kim to build - they needed to be so big that she was worried they would eventually sag. One trip to the hardware store was all it took - it turns out they sell anti-sag kits just for that purpose. Which further convinces me, if I needed further convincing, that most problems in the world can be solved by a knowledgable hardware store employee.


So now the property is properly divided. There is a smaller gate at one end of the meandering fence line, and the larger double gates at the other.



Half of the property for me, half for the chickens. Sounds good to me.

8 comments:

Rae said...

Looks great!!!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh, those gates look awesome!

And I agree that so many things can be helped by one person who knows stuff in a hardware store. Just such an awesome person saved me from driving an hour to get lye (No one sells it in hardware stores b/c the degenerates make meth out of it) when he pulled it out from behind his locked cabinet at a McClendon's hardware.

My hero.

Charade said...

Great fence and gate work - regardless how long it took.

My hardware hero in our town of ~2500 looked at my storm door key which I needed duplicated, thought a moment, and said, "I just happen to have a blank for this key in my desk drawer. Had to special order one of these several years ago, so I ordered an extra." And how lucky was I to have that one particular guy wait on me?

Flartus said...

Dang. I need to find me a Hardware Guy. The nearest local store I know of is about 30 mins. from home, while we have a Home Despot a mile away. Hmm.

Lyssa said...

That looks great! Chickens are fun, but I can't let them anywhere near my gardening. They're monsters.

Anonymous said...

Nice work

Shim Farm said...

It looks fantastic! Nicely divvied up!

Hope you're faring well considering the massive windstorm that hit your region. Let us know how you are!

Miriam said...

Thanks for thinking of us, and I'm sorry if you worried! We're doing just fine - it has been a bit miserable weather-wise, but nothing too extreme!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...