Thursday, August 30, 2012

The last push



When we moved to Mucky Boots we knew the house needed a lot of work. The kitchen. All 2.5 bathrooms. 90% of the flooring. Most of the light fixtures. Every wall needed painting. I thought it would take a year once we left our jobs, although in retrospect I have no idea what I based that on. It's not like I actually knew anything about home renovations...

Fast forward three years and we're finally embarking on the last big project: the mudroom, laundry room and powder room on the main floor. After that there will be lots of loose ends to finish up, but once this last job is finished it will be downhill all the way.

We actually started this project a couple of years ago, when we demolished the powder room. But then we discovered that the empty room made a great space for brooding baby chicks, and other projects claimed our attention, and somehow more than two years have passed without any progress. Two years of stained vinyl flooring, damaged baseboard, dog-scratched doors, institutional fluorescent lights and unbelievably ugly wallpaper as the main entrance to our home. It will be so nice to get this project done.

But in the meantime there's some mess and disruption to get through. Kim and I emptied every room, moved the washer and dryer, took shelves off the walls, repaired every hole, stripped the wallpaper and removed the baseboards. So now our dining room is holding the relocated contents of the laundry room and mudroom, and looks like this...


...and our front hallway looks like this.


But the experts have arrived to install the new floor, and so our porch looks like this...


and the laundry room looks like this.


Already a big improvement. 

8 comments:

Alison said...

Time to start planning the Open House! Although...it makes me a little nervous the way you cavalierly tossed in "..it will be downhill all the way." I hope the house didn't hear you! :)

Kris said...

It's gonna look great! I have always loved renovating homes. We have had to do that in every home we have lived in. And it never really ends. When you get done (or think you are done) something else will pop up needing fixed. Or you're tired of the color.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

My kind of home renovation is, like, sitting out back with a book and an iced coffee and letting some big, strong mens do it for me.

I got nothing but love for people who endeavor to do it themselves.

How are you washing your clothes with no washer? Big kettle over open flame?

You badass.

jeanives said...

A yes, I recognize "the look". Congrats on getting underway, whenever. It's the underway part that matters not the when: problem solving, thinking, planning, actual doing, whatever...

Miriam said...

Alison - yes, I too had a moment of wondering if I was tempting fate with those words!

Kris - no, no, no! I really want this house DONE! (Although I think you are right on this one!)

Lindsey - the big strong men left after lunch today and now it's the turn of the big strong women (meaning me and Kim). We've got painting, baseboard, a powder room to install, shelving to figure out in the laundry room. But it all seems do-able!

Jean - we hired people! I can feel your pride from over the Malahat, and I can't wait to show you the (hopefully, mostly) finished product when you get back from your trip.

Razzberry Corner said...

Yeah!!!! It's almost done!!!! This is motivational!

Paula said...

Oh man. You are just making me feel guilty about all the stuff that I need to do, not the least of which is finish the dining nook.

But we're starting the hen yard this weekend- woo hoo!

Michelle Huddleston said...

We're eight years in, and no where near done with our projects!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...