Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dry


We haven't had any significant rain for months. People think of southern Vancouver Island as being wet, wet, wet, and it is (usually) through the winter. But our summers are traditionally hot and dry, and this particular summer doesn't seem to be ending when it comes to the "dry" part.

It has been so dry people are worrying about the state of their wells and aquifers, and some communities that haven't ever been to Stage 3 water restrictions are now on Stage 4, which means no outdoor watering of any kind for any reason. It has been so dry there are concerns that our local river, the Cowichan River, doesn't have enough water for the returning salmon to make it upstream for spawning, so volunteers are hand-carrying salmon in crates up the river.

But now - now there is this.



If you can't quite read it, don't worry, The important part is the row of weather symbols along the top. Can you see it? Rain! Three days of rain, beginning on Friday.

Of course forecasts and reality are sometimes different things, but the regular appearance of the rain icon over the next fourteen days is giving me hope. I'll let you know what happens.

Now I just have to find my umbrella.

6 comments:

Doc said...

I guess we both should be used to rain but I am never ready to let go of this gorgeous warm weather.

Alison said...

Glad you're getting some rain, so you don't have to change the name of your farm to Dusty Boots. :)

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

We are getting rain here, too! I'm so excited!

I love rain. I love the northwest drenched in rain. I love that it's going to rain all weekend so all I have to do is bake, watch movies, continue canning things and veg out with the Tot.

Yay, rain!

Paula said...

Usually I'm all for the rain but I'm trying to get my hen yard done and rain this weekend is most unwelcome. If only it could wait one more week!

Anonymous said...

Thx for your post, I really enjoy your blog. Long time lurker, first time commenter, you know the drill. I tried to share this one time before, I don’t think it posted correctly…hopefully it will this time!

jeanives said...

We had some drizzle overnight which serves us right for not getting around to taking in the outdoor carpets and cushions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...