Friday, October 26, 2012

Knitting


Thanks to the inspiration of Ann at Shim Farm, who reminded me of the pleasures of Lopi, and my friend Elisabeth, who knits socks that are works of art, I recently rooted through my long-forgotten box of knitting supplies, dug out my needles and knit this shawl.

It seems the familiar Leave Things 90% Unfinished Syndrome that governs our home renovations applies to knitting projects, too. The shawl got almost finished quite quickly, but then it stalled, with strand ends waiting to be woven in and the fringe undone. Finally I got my act together and finished it off one day (and took the photo you see), only to come home from tutoring the next day to the news that Frankie had decided it looked awfully soft and cozy and had dragged it off the back of a chair with his paws and snuggled with it on the floor, in the process creating a number of pulls and bobbles. Oh well. Nothing that can't be fixed. After all, people (and that includes dogs) are more important than things.

I mostly knit the shawl in front of the TV, which made the process of watching the latest episode of Boardwalk Empire less of a frivolous use of my time. Does anyone just sit and knit, without something else going on? That's a bit too stultifying for me, and there's only so much TV I am willing to watch. So my new favourite thing to do while knitting is to listen to an audiobook on my ipod. Which I did on my recent trip to Calgary, which involved about 50 hours on a train. What a perfect combination: the rock of the train, spectacular scenery passing by the windows, being read a good book with a pair of needles in my hands, learning to cable knit.


And speaking of needles, I have learned of the pleasures of wooden needles, which somehow feel more fitting in my fingers than metal or (gasp!) plastic ones. They make it easier to channel the spirit of Laura, which is part of the fun.

The next project? Another scarf, with wool made of merino and silk, in a shade of green to bring out the sparkle in my honey's eyes.

8 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Miriam! I admire anyone that can knit or make anything, (because I can't!) and you've made a lovely shawl that's worth any amount of time in front of the TV! :-)

I hope all is well with you--Are you getting snow?

Shim Farm said...

Well, well, well, I am chuffed! Wonderful, wonderful work. I am so happy I've brought you over to the dark side of knitting again, muahahahaha!

I sit and knit, with nothing on in the background (no TV here!), and it's the part of my day I most look forward to. Cats by my side, the wood stove roaring, Cooper at my feet, and needles in my hand? It's paradise found.

Your scarf is lovely. Cables are so much fun. If you're visiting Beehive in the next few weeks, you might want to consider treating yourself to a set of Hiya-Hiya bamboo interchangeable needles. They're my current favorites. I like birch needles for Lopi, bamboo or birch for socks, and metal for bulkier yarns. It depends on my mood, too.

I'm so happy you're knitting again - keep up the good work! Can't wait to see more of your projects!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Okay. Shut up. That thing is AWESOME.

And you just made me love you more with the revelation that you love Nucky Thompson as much as I do.

What' up with that Rizzetti guy? He's effin' crazy....

jeanives said...

Your knitting looks VERY skilled! Never mind following a pattern (who comes up with those things?), I could never manage consistent tension. My grandmother was a wizard though...Argyle sweaters, look out.

Janet Childs said...

I was thinking of knitting the other day. I would love to learn to knit/crochet.... any suggestions on where to start? It just seems like the perfect winter hobby to do in the evenings while relaxing in front of the tv.

Janet

Miriam said...

Janet, I would check out your local knitting supply store. If yours is anything like mine there are frequent classes on offer, and if nothing else, I have yet to meet a knitter who isn't happy about teaching what they know! So just wander into the shop and see who might be able to get you started!

Mary Francess on the cello said...

When I sit down to do my candlewick embroidery there is nothing that is more important than the act of creating beautifully coloured stitchery that pleases the eye and satisfies the mind, the soul and the need for a mini escape. I am completely understanding of the omnipresent urge that is felt on the part of all of us who discover the joy of building beauty from synchronizing colourful threads and wool in elegant bends and twists towards completion, whenever that occurs in the course of time. Here's to handiwork in the truest sense! Hip Hip Hooray!

Lyssa said...

Just lovely, and I'm there with you on the wood needles. The tactile pleasure of the activity is such an important part of it to me, and plastic or metal needles are jarring, though I do have one set of metal Addis for working lace.

Hooray for handwork in the wintertime :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...