Friday, November 30, 2012

Berries



It's pouring today.

What else is new?


But I have found a bit of brightness and beauty: berries!

Snow berries and holly berries.




The berry-like non-berries that are really crocosmia seed pods.


The berries from the mystery shrub (could it be a kind of dogwood?) that looked like this just a short while ago...


...and after two nights of hard frost now look like this.


When I think of "berries" and "Mucky Boots" simultaneously what comes to mind are all the edible berries we grow: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, red currants, blackberries, huckleberries, Saskatoon berries. They're lovely, but they're long gone, and their memory (and even their jam) isn't enough to brighten a day like today. So it's nice to know their non-edible cousins have got this late season covered.

5 comments:

jeanives said...

Beautiful indeed.

Erin said...

It was pouring down in Sidney too. Kind of awesome. I have snowberries and holly here too. Isn't it just the most beautiful time of year.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love the splash of color the berries give on days like the one you were having. I hope the sun and warmth return!

Shim Farm said...

It's freezing here today. But blue skies trumps rain. The -20 windchill? Let me reconsider...

Nice berries - funny how the last ones turned black after a hard frost.

The snowberries intrigued me - I googled them, and there are pink ones! Very pretty!

Hope you're on the mend after your surgery!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Some dude told me snowberries are actually nightshade. I can't seem to find any thing on the interwebs that would state that's true.
I LOVE snowberries. Those little dashes of bright white in the grey and muck that make up much of our northwest winter....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...