
It's pouring today.
What else is new?
But I have found a bit of brightness and beauty: berries!
Snow berries and holly berries.

The berry-like non-berries that are really crocosmia seed pods.
The berries from the mystery shrub (could it be a kind of dogwood?) that looked like this just a short while ago...
...and after two nights of hard frost now look like this.
When I think of "berries" and "Mucky Boots" simultaneously what comes to mind are all the edible berries we grow: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, red currants, blackberries, huckleberries, Saskatoon berries. They're lovely, but they're long gone, and their memory (and even their jam) isn't enough to brighten a day like today. So it's nice to know their non-edible cousins have got this late season covered.






5 comments:
Beautiful indeed.
It was pouring down in Sidney too. Kind of awesome. I have snowberries and holly here too. Isn't it just the most beautiful time of year.
I love the splash of color the berries give on days like the one you were having. I hope the sun and warmth return!
It's freezing here today. But blue skies trumps rain. The -20 windchill? Let me reconsider...
Nice berries - funny how the last ones turned black after a hard frost.
The snowberries intrigued me - I googled them, and there are pink ones! Very pretty!
Hope you're on the mend after your surgery!
Some dude told me snowberries are actually nightshade. I can't seem to find any thing on the interwebs that would state that's true.
I LOVE snowberries. Those little dashes of bright white in the grey and muck that make up much of our northwest winter....
Post a Comment