Last year I was looking for something to plant in the old washing machine tub parked by the pond. I had been filling it with annuals but decided to switch to a perennial because hey, who doesn't like less work? So I went hunting for something with the right scale for the tub, that could handle the part sun, part dappled shade, dry unless I remember to water it conditions. Usually, when I go to the garden store with a list of requirements in hand, I end up getting sucked in by the first pretty thing I see. In this case, it was a picture, because I bought bulbs.
Oxalis deppei is what I came home with. Then I did a Google search and found out how many people battle invasive oxalis in their lawns and garden beds and I thanked my lucky stars that I was planting in a container, not a bed, at a good distance from any of the perennial beds. And I reasoned that since it is hardy only to Zone 7 (which we are only in a good year) any problems would be solved with a good dose of winter.
It did well last year, filling the tub with its two-colour shamrock leaves and pink flowers, and so I was curious this spring whether it would return. It did, not quite as luxuriantly, but it slowly filled out and now it is blooming. Beautifully.




4 comments:
Now I know the name of this particular plant. It is growing in one of the flower beds in the yard here. Love how you captured the small dainty flowers.
Personally I like oxalis despite it's reputation for invading. Nice choice.
Pretty.
Hope it stays put!
I love going to the nursery with the best of intentions...
I went today "just to look around". That didn't end well. For my bank account, at least.
I love the little pretty flowers. And it's only invasive if you don't want it there, right? If you love it, then you're just lucky.
Post a Comment