Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Seedling progress



Patience has been a necessary virtue the last ten days or so as I have waited for this nasty arthritis flare-up to subside. I'm doing much better, but I have learned from past experience that pushing things too far too fast is the best way to prolong the misery. (Not that I've always practised what I've learned, but that's another story...)

So I've been trying really hard to not use my shoulders in the garden this week. When you think about it, that doesn't leave much. No digging. No hoeing. No weeding. No mowing the grass. No zipping around with the string trimmer. No building garden beds or bean trellises. No mulching new perennial beds. What's left, for heaven's sake?

What's left is puttering in the greenhouse. Five gallon pots are too heavy for me right now, but little seedling pots are exactly my speed. So, with lots of time on my hands, my greenhouse is full of the most pampered, happy seedlings I've ever grown. Seven varieties of tomatoes. Red onions, yellow onions, Welsh onions, leeks and shallots. Swiss chard, spinach, and cabbage. Four varieties of winter squash and two of summer squash. Four kinds of lettuce. Three kinds of beans and a few melons just for fun. Parsley, basil, chamomile, calendula and lavender (yes, I have two tiny lavender plants I started from seed, which may be my greatest accomplishment ever). Two varieties of echinacea, bergamot, marigolds, hollyhocks, sunflowers and nasturtiums. All grown from seed. And that's in addition to the Chinese greens, arugula, peas, carrots, radishes and green onions out in the garden.

According to my records from last year, we're ahead with the onions and tomatoes, and quite far behind with the spinach and chard. I'm not sure how that happened, given our spring this year has been so much milder than last year. But there you go: shoulders and chard, each on their own schedule. No sense pushing either.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! It all looks great! I hope I'm not going to be sorry that I decided against a greenhouse.

I just read over at The Cottage Smallholder that stroking your seedlings is good for them because it simulates the air moving them around which makes the stems and roots sturdier, which also keeps them from getting leggy. That's something else you can do while you wait for your shoulders to catch up with the rest of you.

Miriam said...

Ha! What a great idea! Now that you mention it, I can't keep my hands off the cabbage seedlings (in the centre of the second photo) - there's something about the texture of the leaves I find really appealing!

~Kim~ said...

What beautiful "babies" you have!! You are off to a good start, and waaaayyyy ahead of me!! Glad you're taking it easy too!!

Toni aka irishlas said...

Wow! Everything looks great! You have some fine looking babies there, missy!
It is good that you're taking it easy and I know how hard that is to do with so many things that need to be done.
While your "kicking back", maybe you could teach Frankie to go get you a cold beverage of your choice!
Now wouldn't that just be the bees knees!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...