Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tulip library


When I was little I really wanted to be a librarian. I used to arrange my books in various orders (colour and size, and then when I became more familiar with alphabetical order, the more usual ways). I'd make little pockets for the front of my books, with sign-out cards, and invite my family to visit my library and borrow books. (It seems to me I charged five cents a book, which is maybe why I don't recall having many customers...)

I think that instinct to catalogue and organize is resurfacing, because I have felt compelled this spring to take pictures of every plant growing in the garden (maybe you've noticed). For example, the tulips - at least the ones blooming right now. I seem to remember from last year that the tulip show went on and on, and the later varieties included some parrot tulips that were so outrageously frilly it didn't seem they could possibly be real. But even now, early in the season, there's an amazing diversity of colour and shape. So here's what's blooming today - in no particular order, and I promise I won't charge you five cents.






4 comments:

Paula said...

There are a bunch of tulips in bloom in my neighborhood- great collections of pink, red, orange and purple in one yard, a beautiful bi-colored orange one in a bed of purple lobelia- they're all so striking.

I love parrot tulips, and can't wait to see pictures of those too, not that these are shabby, by any means.

I've decided that I have to order tulip bulbs (and hyacinths, and daffodils, etc.) this fall. Gorgeous!

~Kim~ said...

Well, you could charge me the 5 cent admission, I think it's definitely worth every penny!! You have some beautiful tulips, and I can't wait for the encore!! :-)))

Diana said...

Miriam, it sounds as though you have wonderful organizational skills and beautiful tulips too!! ;) Hope you are having a great week.

Toni aka irishlas said...

Love the pics of the tulips! Looking forward to the later blooms.
I have to say, I've never been very diligent when it comes to planting bulbs. If it weren't for my husband, we wouldn't have any blooming at all.
I also take photo's of most everything that blooms or grows around the homestead. I find them a piece of brightness in the hold of the cold, dark winter to sit and look at to relive their beauty!

Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...