Saturday, May 15, 2010

More tulips and bloomin' things


A few posts back I started the Tulip Library, photos of some of the different kinds of tulips that flower here at Mucky Boots from April to June. The sheer variety continues to bemuse me: how can such different shapes and colours, from simple red and yellow to the tropical-looking peach confection shown here all come from such inauspicious brown bulbs planted deep in the dirt?

However it happens, it's wonderful.

This one is as soft and pink as a baby's bum - I know, because I kissed it. How could I not, when it looks like this?


These ones make me think of a whipped lemon custard with raspberry sauce...


...and maybe I have desserts on my mind, but can you look at this one and not think of raspberry ripple ice cream?


And even a simple, Plain Jane red tulip can be gorgeous.


What's missing are what I called the Peppermint Patty tulips. Here's the photo from last year. No sign of them this year - maybe a hungry squirrel got the bulbs?


Tulips aren't the only thing flowering right now. The wisteria is just coming into full bloom...


... and the first oriental poppy has blossomed.


A whole row of allium is flowering by the house...


...columbines are busting out all over...


...and the first of about a million perennial cornflowers are blooming.


I'm grateful to have so much beauty to drink in, because Kim and I have been hard at work at the front of the house turning the wasteland into perennial beds and man, is it hard work. I hope to be able to show you the fruits of our labour soon, but right now we're still sweating with shovels and pick-axes.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Really pretty Miriam! thanks for showing us.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm just catching up on your blog--You and Kim finding the energy to do everything, think of solutions to problems AND enjoy your flowers shows how truly amazing the two of you are and what a perfect balance you've found in your life!!
Your photos are stunning!! I had no idea there were so many varities of tulips (I would kiss them too) and it is again a credit to what good gardeners you are that you know them all, and know when one is missing! :-))

Toni aka irishlas said...

Your tulips are gorgeous! And you have solved a mystery for me. I spotted this flower that just popped up this year and I was wondering what it was. Now I know it's a cornflower! I'll leave it be and let it prosper!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...