Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mailbox chicken



Meet the chicken that keeps watch over the community mailbox where our mail is delivered. I like living in a neighbourhood with a sense of humour.

Speaking of a sense of humour, we're having to work to keep ours every night about 8:30 as we try to convince ten chickens it's time to go to bed. We're getting marginally better at it, but it still takes both of us, each wielding a piece of board as a traffic control device, to get those independent-minded chickies into the coop. They probably think that now they're almost eight weeks old, they merit a later bedtime.

We have tried shaking some grit (which is like candy to chickens) in a pan inside the coop to coax them in, but that only worked once, sort of. Does anyone have any other suggestions for us?

4 comments:

jeanives said...

Isn't Frankie supposed to be a herder? Maybe not such a good idea, eh!

Paula said...

I was going to suggest getting a Corgi, but jeanives beat me to it!

I tried looking it up in The Storey's Guide to RAising Chickens by Gail Damerow, which seems to be the bible to which all the other chicken books I've read refer, and there's nothing in there on herding chickens, or bedtime or anything of that lot.

However, it seems to me that if you can concentrate on getting the top banana to go in, the others would follow him or her. Or just work on one at a time. I'm guessing that they would put themselves to bed once the sun hits a certain point in the sky- chickens are known for going to home to roost.

Anyway- sorry I can't be of more help to you guys. Good luck!

Toni aka irishlas said...

I've learned that the girls come in when the feel like it and not a moment before! But, they all do come in around late dusk on their own. Maybe I'm lucky!

We've relaxed about what time we actually shut the coop - since a predator would have to get into the run first, we don't fret so much as to shut everything up tight at nightfall.

Doc said...

I always just scatter a bit of cracked corn on the chicken house floor and they come running. It might take one or two times but they get the hint fast. PS I love your blog and all the pictures.
Doc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...