Thursday, June 9, 2011

Emergency preparedness


I have been working the last while to update our emergency kit. We live in an earthquake zone, in a rural area that loses its power with some regularity, in a part of the country that deals with fire emergencies every summer. It just makes sense to be prepared. So we have a big garbage bin filled with emergency radios and cell phone chargers, a ceramic water filter, camping equipment, first aid supplies and a crossword puzzle book to keep us occupied.



And in the workshop we have the bulk of our food storage. I'm aiming for a 3 month supply, but we're not quite there yet.

I know some people think I'm a little crazy (which doesn't matter, because I'd rather be prepared and not need to be, than not prepared and wishing I was). But today - well, today my emergency preparations came through for me when I most needed them.

Did we have an earthquake? No.

Did we have a power outage? Well, no . . .

Was there a flood? Er, not really . . .

What exactly, then was the state of the emergency?

A bad day. A really bad day. A long and tiring and really bad day.

And how did the emergency kit help with that, you might ask? It wasn't the first aid kit that I desperately needed and was so grateful for, or the sleeping bag, or the wind-up radio.

No, it was the chocolate covered almonds I had squirreled away. Boy oh boy, when I remembered they were there and went to fetch them and they were right where I had put them, my day instantly improved by a factor of about a million.

So don't let anyone ever tell you emergency preparations are a waste of time. They saved my day.

And, yes, I will replace the ones I ate, which by bed time will probably be the entire bag.

5 comments:

Paula said...

an emergency is an emergency, but they are all subjective. and my emergency may not necessarily be your emergency.

but I certainly understand a chocolate emergency. you made me laugh, and I'm glad that you're planning for emergencies. All kinds.

Flartus said...

Ha ha, yes! The emergency kit has already paid for itself. :D

Toni aka irishlas said...

This post gave me the biggest chuckle! I can so relate to a "chocolate" emergency!

On a more serious note, I'm impressed with how prepared you are!

You ladies have a great weekend!

jeanives said...

I've dived into ours for a can of beans!

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

That was so neat, and funny! I do understand your emergency moment ;)

We also have a provision for emergencies very similar to yours. We included things like flour, salt, suggar, grains (rice/beans) and the basics for a "basic" type life. We even have some seeds, which we renew from time to time.

I just hope we never have to reach for these things... except for the chocolate, right?

Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...